Chang Qing & Zi Xuan

Discussions on Chinese Paladin 3 drama (prequel), starring Hu Ge 胡歌 as Jing Tian, Yang Mi 楊冪 as Tang Xue Jian, Wallace Huo 霍建華 as Xu Changqing, Tang Yan 唐嫣 as Zi Xuan and Liu Shi Shi 刘诗诗 as Long Kui.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Chang Qing & Zi Xuan

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm

A topic for everything related to this pair ♥ They are my absolute favourite in Chinese Paladin 3 drama..I loved their chemistry so so much!

What are your thoughts on this pair?

http://undyinglove.chinesepaladin.org

♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Re: Chang Qing & Zi Xuan

Postby Whistler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm

well IIRC Chang Qing & Zi Xuan have very little development in the game expect some simple matters :shock: I don't really know what happened in the drama though :|

rubme
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby rubme » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 am

I think they were great together. They had the I don't really love you attitude going on, but in the end they really did love each other inside their hearts.
And it is their attitude that their love is different and unique and SPECIAL.
This is probably why they are such an AWSOME couple! :)

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Hey Whistler you planning to watch CP3 or skip the entire drama?

It's sad to hear they were rather minor in the game, but there's no doubt they played large roles in the drama which I loved. I didn't expect this but once I started Cp3, Changqing turned out to be my favourite character. In fact, I thought Jing Tian and Xue Jian were completely bland and uninteresting compared to these two! From the moment the two met, right until the very last episode, I thought it was just so captivating and romantic. I loved their kissing scenes too XD hahaa..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xu Changqing and Zi Xuan

Postby lovelikethis » Sun May 02, 2010 6:54 am

Oh my goodness, I cried so many times while watching this couple! Their ending is soooooooo sad! I cried at the scene where Zixuan is standing in the snow with white hair and the song playing in the background and then it shows Changqing standing in the snow too, oh my gosh it breaks my heart! LOL And even though I can't understand what they're saying in that scene, I still bawled my eyes out because I know how much they love each other; and I know that after they separate, they'll NEVER be able to be together again because Zixuan will eventually die and Changqing will become an immortal. It's so sad. 200 years of love is finally coming to an end. But I am so happy that they both played major roles in this series as opposed to the game, and that they got just as much screen time as Jing Tian and Xue Jian. Thank goddess for that.

But you know what I also thought of? It's a constant theme with the Nuwa descendants to never be able to have the love they want in their lives. No matter what, they always have to sacrifice their own happiness for the happiness of the people. Look at Ling'er, she couldn't be cooped up with Xiaoyao (she also dies at the end) because she's the princess of her nation and has to save her people because that's the path Nuwa walks. Then there was Ling'er's mother, Qing'er, who also can't pursue a love life because the safety and protection of her people comes first; and that's why she felt obliged to marry the king in order to have more influence and power over her people. And she also dies by sacrificing herself to seal the water serpent. Now look at Zixuan: in the second lifetime that she and Changqing were together, she had to go back to Miaojiang and sacrifice her life to save everyone else. However, when Changqing comes to take her back, she can't abandon her duty, so as a result Changqing dies and they don't get to be together. So it's just sad, how these BEAUTIFUL women are the Earth mothers, and who are so full of love and always saving everybody else, but they can never have the love that they desire. This reminds me of the quote by a famous singer and it goes like this: "There are those among us who are BLESSED with the power to SAVE what is loved by another, but POWERLESS to use this blessing for love themselves."

Such is the life of a Nuwa descendant.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 am

Oh my goodness, I cried so many times while watching this couple! Their ending is soooooooo sad! I cried at the scene where Zixuan is standing in the snow with white hair and the song playing in the background and then it shows Changqing standing in the snow too, oh my gosh it breaks my heart! LOL And even though I can't understand what they're saying in that scene, I still bawled my eyes out because I know how much they love each other; and I know that after they separate, they'll NEVER be able to be together again because Zixuan will eventually die and Changqing will become an immortal. It's so sad. 200 years of love is finally coming to an end. But I am so happy that they both played major roles in this series as opposed to the game, and that they got just as much screen time as Jing Tian and Xue Jian. Thank goddess for that.

Man, that last scene at the snow was so heart-breaking >.< I felt so bad for them that they have to be all alone.. the only things they have left are memories... *sigh* They didn't get to speak to each other, Changqing was just remembering Zi Xuan telling him she has always wanted to see snow, and back then he had promised her he'll see the snows together with her T___T awwwww... (I wonder how much time has actually passed since they separated from each other?)

"There are those among us who are BLESSED with the power to SAVE what is loved by another, but POWERLESS to use this blessing for love themselves."

Wow, what a perfectly fitting quote ;_;

And yes, I did get that impression too.. life as a nuwa seems pretty hard. There's something that's been in my mind though.. if Nuwa is supposed to be mother earth, how come they only protect the maio people? Aren't they a tiny population?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby lovelikethis » Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 am

Ohhhh, thanks so much for telling me what they were saying. I've been so curious until now, but wow, that's such a sweet dialogue between them. It got me all teary-eyed. So was it only Changqing who was remembering their conversation? Was Zixuan remembering it also?

Okay, and here's the interesting thing about Nuwa and the Miao people. Chinese Paladin uses Chinese mythology as its background about how the world was created and all that stuff about legendary heroes, gods and goddesses. I tried doing a lot of research about Nuwa and the Miao, and it seems like the Nuwa myth derived from them, so I think that's why the CP creators made Nuwa the goddess of the Miao people in the game. Another thing I discovered is that the myth about Pangu in Chinese Paladin also originated with the Miao. If you search for the PDF document "The Rhinoceros Totem and Pangu Myth" in a search engine like yahoo, you can read it. And then Chi You (who is also part of the Chinese Paladin background story) is also the ancient leader that the Miao in China worship. So it looks like a lot of these myths have a lot of direct connection to the Miao people.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Ohhhh..that makes a lot of sense then :) Thanks for sharing your insights =D I might do some reading up on it too..

Ohhhh, thanks so much for telling me what they were saying. I've been so curious until now, but wow, that's such a sweet dialogue between them. It got me all teary-eyed. So was it only Changqing who was remembering their conversation? Was Zixuan remembering it also?

It doesn't really say, but I assume it would be both of them thinking about it, because Zi Xuan did tell him she always wanted to see snow, and now that she finally did I'm sure she was thinking of him :) I don't think there's a day that goes by where they don't...

After having seen the last scene, I went to re-watch the part where the talk actually took place (at the beach/sea-side) and man it's so sad.. especially when we know it doesn't really happen. Even at that point when Zi Xuan was scared/uncertain if they'll be together in the end, Changqing held her and reassured her he won't leave her and it's his promise to her that they'll watch it together... *sigh* In the end, I wonder if that promise was fulfilled? They weren't physically together, but maybe their hearts were?

The last shot where Changqing is looking down the mountains and Zi Xuan is looking up might indicate they know the other is somewhere up/down there. Sadly, they both think the other has lost memory of them..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby lovelikethis » Sun May 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah, when I watched it I also assumed that the both of them were remembering it (I guessed from their sad facial expressions). I really wonder though, if they both really do think that they've actually forgotten each other. Maybe they both might have doubts, or maybe not. And yeah, they only have memories now, but after they're both gone from the world those memories will also disappear. Then there won't even be the memories anymore. It's like their love story will just disappear. *sigh* Every time I re-watch their scenes, I sometimes smile a bit because they're both so sweet together, but then I always become sad afterwards because I know they have to go their own separate ways in the end. I also think that there's not a day that passes by when they don't spare a thought for one another.

Changqing held her and reassured her he won't leave her and it's his promise to her that they'll watch it together... *sigh* In the end, I wonder if that promise was fulfilled? They weren't physically together, but maybe their hearts were?

In my opinion, the way I see it is that it's fulfilled but it's also not. I don't think that it's black and white where it has to be a yes or no answer. I would think that a promise is fulfilled when two people actually fulfill what they say they'd do together, but they didn't really do what they said they'd do, even though they did do it individually. So for me, I see it as a promise that's not fulfilled but also sort of is. If that makes sense.

Sadly, they also won't ever be able to hold hands and grow old together. Like in their first lifetime together, they both always recited that poem; but it's sad that they'll never be able to do that after all.
Last edited by lovelikethis on Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun May 02, 2010 7:04 pm

Sadly, they also won't ever be able to hold hands and grow old together. Like in their first lifetime together, they both always recited that poem; but it's sad that they'll never be able to do that after all.

What does that poem actually mean? ^^;

At the very least the characters didn't die.. it would have been awful if Changqing really just got eaten by the bad guy... >.> But yeah, too many deaths already.. I'm just relieved they saved their memories..because their experience, everything they've been through is what they value most.

I really wonder though, if they both really do think that they've actually forgotten each other. Maybe they both might have doubts, or maybe not.

hm.. not sure. When the two walked away in opposite directions, they didn't see the other cry- and just as Zi Xuan vanishes, she could probably hear Changqing letting out a loud laugh (after spitting the water out)- I wonder if she saw that as him feeling happy and free? =(

Then there won't even be the memories anymore.

I think it's sad that they can't even be together in death... as Zi Xuan mentioned to Sheng Gu, this is their last chance to be together, as after this life, it's most likely Changqing will obtain 'dao' and become a 'god'.. there will be no more reincarnation for him and the cycle will end.

Every time I re-watch their scenes, I sometimes smile a bit because they're both so sweet together, but then I always become sad afterwards because I know they have to go their own separate ways in the end.

Very true.. but I still love watching them (hehe, I've rewatched everything twice already, may go for a third).

It's just a bit frustrating that Changqing has reassured her so many times he won't abandon her, yet in the end she really did let go, and prompt him to forget her. It was so obvious both didn't want to.. so it's quite a big ask. Although it's all for selfless reasons, I can't help but think Zi Xuan was somewhat selfish in insisting to be involved in his life (when Changqing resisted) and when he finally admits how much he loves her, she makes him just "forget everything" =( Shouldn't he have the right to choose his own happiness, and make decisions for himself?

In the scene where Changqing decides to be with Zi Xuan (travelling on the flying boat), he explains to his master that his choice is to be with Zi Xuan, and the elder says he respects his decision. What actually happened between them since they made them both feel insecure? Is it because of Zi Xuan ageing? It shouldn't be, right?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby lovelikethis » Sun May 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Chibi Jennifer wrote:What does that poem actually mean? ^^;

I think it's just a poem that literally means the two people will hold hands and grow old together. At least that's what I think.

At the very least the characters didn't die.. it would have been awful if Changqing really just got eaten by the bad guy... >.> But yeah, too many deaths already.. I'm just relieved they saved their memories..because their experience, everything they've been through is what they value most.

Oh so true! I'm still happy that they both got to live at the end, even if they have to accept separation, at least neither didn't die! That would be the worst ending. Besides, the ending of them not dying and Changqing spitting the water back out was the best couple's-separation ending I've ever seen. lol

hm.. not sure. When the two walked away in opposite directions, they didn't see the other cry- and just as Zi Xuan vanishes, she could probably hear Changqing letting out a loud laugh (after spitting the water out)- I wonder if she saw that as him feeling happy and free? =(

That's also what I thought. Like wouldn't she have heard his loud laughter? I think she did. But I honestly don't know how Zixuan took it. It's a mystery.

I think it's sad that they can't even be together in death... as Zi Xuan mentioned to Sheng Gu, this is their last chance to be together, as after this life, it's most likely Changqing will obtain 'dao' and become a 'god'.. there will be no more reincarnation for him and the cycle will end.

Yeah, and Shenggu also said that Zixuan wasn't the same Nuwa as she was before she gave birth to Qing'er. After a Nuwa descendant gives birth, they're supposed to lose their immortality of not dying and not aging, right? Zixuan was aging faster now because she used much of her life-force in saving Changqing; and because she's aging faster than Changqing, she'd have to die before him. And if Changqing stayed with Zixuan, he would have broken his vow of abstinence and then have to be reincarnated again, but I don't think Zixuan will be reincarnated (who knows where Nuwa descendants go after death), so Changqing would most likely have to live his next life without Zixuan, and he'd have to go through the life cycle of suffering all over again. So from how I see it, it's not just that the cycle will end when Changqing no longer reincarnates; it doesn't even really matter anymore whether or not Changqing will reincarnate because the cycle will end no matter what since this is already the last life that Zixuan gets to live.

It's just a bit frustrating that Changqing has reassured her so many times he won't abandon her, yet in the end she really did let go, and prompt him to forget her. It was so obvious both didn't want to.. so it's quite a big ask. Although it's all for selfless reasons, I can't help but think Zi Xuan was somewhat selfish in insisting to be involved in his life (when Changqing resisted) and when he finally admits how much he loves her, she makes him just "forget everything" =( Shouldn't he have the right to choose his own happiness, and make decisions for himself?
In the scene where Changqing decides to be with Zi Xuan (travelling on the flying boat), he explains to his master that his choice is to be with Zi Xuan, and the elder says he respects his decision. What actually happened between them since they made them both feel insecure? Is it because of Zi Xuan ageing? It shouldn't be, right?

Hmm... I don't think it's all as simple as that. I think that Zixuan was mistaken in the beginning of their third lifetime together. I'll explain why I think she was mistaken. At first, she was given false hope because she realized that Changqing still remembers some of their memories together (during that scene when she finds him unconscious leaning on a tree in the forest). So because she thought that he'd be lonely without her (and because she always wants the best for him), she was mistaken in believing that the best thing to do is to get back with him, because at that time she thought that if Changqing still remembers her, those remaining memories and her love for him was enough for her to pursue him again. She thought that somewhere deep in his heart, he must have some kind of yearning for her if he was still able to remember her even after his memories were sealed, and this is why it made her want to be with him again and believed that her fate was to be together with Changqing one last time. Zixuan's problem was that she was just too much in love. She loves hard and she loves deeply, so much that she even prevented her own child from growing just so she could be with Changqing again. That should already say a lot about the love she has for him. So the whole time, my impression was that she was just holding onto the past, and couldn't bring herself to let go after seeing that Changqing somewhat remembered her. There may be a few other reasons as to why she wasn't able to let go, but I think this is one of the biggest reasons. It wasn't until later on, after going through so much together, that their time together made her realize what was more important. It's twisted I know, but that's just how things work sometimes. It doesn't always make sense, but it happens. Life is twisted that way. It's true that what she did was selfish, but in the end, she did make the right choice. She finally realized that she was wrong (cause when you're in love, you don't always do the "right" thing, and you usually just follow your heart) and through this found the strength to let go. I understand her feelings for Changqing. I get why she did what she did. Also, during the earlier episodes when Zixuan was talking to Shenggu, she said something about Changqing dying an unfair death in their second lifetime; so another reason why I think she couldn't let go of Changqing was because she still needed closure from what had happened in their past. The incident of Changqing/Yeping getting stabbed to death most likely left her traumatized (obviously since she loves him with all her heart) and probably scarred her badly so that's why she still wasn't able to let go of Changqing yet, if you get what I'm saying. In another way, their time together in the third lifetime gave her closure and she was finally able to move past such a traumatic event (Yeping's death). So there's a whole lot of baggage and pain involved in this couple's relationship; it's not just all black and white. And you know, it also seemed like Changqing was heavily scarred too. I mean the first thing he says to Zixuan when he started remembering their past lives together he yells at her "tell me, who else is in your heart?!" And then after he wakes up in Nuwa's temple, he was crying and in so much pain because all of those old emotions of hurt and loss that he experienced with Zixuan in their previous lives started coming back to him. So it looks as if they both were hurting badly (it's just that Changqing didn't remember it like how Zixuan did until she appeared again in order to save his life). And the time they spent together in their third lifetime probably did more good than bad for the both of them. At least they finally got to resolve their problems, and move on with only good memories and the love they both have for each other in their hearts (now that Changqing knows for sure that he's always been the only man in Zixuan's heart). So even though their separation was a sad ending, it was also a good ending. I think it's the best ending to a love that lasted for 200 years. Especially for a love that's forbidden by heaven.

------------------------EDIT--------------------------------

Oh, and I've been doing some more thinking about this so I'll just add it onto my post here. The thing about Zixuan is that she finally learned to love selflessly in the end. I think it's very interesting how Zixuan learns and grows as the three lifetimes go along.

It was in Zixuan and Changqing/Liufang's first lifetime that Zixuan learned what love was and how to love for the very first time. In the beginning she loved selfishly, but I think that's natural when you finally find someone you love and want to be with for the rest of your life. Doesn't everyone start out loving selfishly anyways? It was the first stage of love for her, and in their first lifetime Zixuan was the sweet, innocent and naive girl who only wanted to be a matchmaker and be Liufang's bride. She hadn't gone through the kind of pain and heartbreak that love can cause until she meets Liufang. I love the actress who plays her because she did such an amazing job in portraying the cute and innocent Zixuan; it's such a great contrast to the Zixuan of the second and third lifetimes (but I'll get to those later). So after spending time together, Liufang tells Zixuan that if she still loved him after three years, he'll marry her, and being the cute and naive girl who still retained her innocence, Zixuan smiles happily and agrees, thinking that nothing could ever go wrong. Three years later they both meet each other at the lake again, Zixuan sees him, gets mad so she runs off, Liufang runs after her and she slaps him. But then a moment later they reconcile and he leans in to kiss her; and it's so bittersweet because I think that what Liufang did here was actually the very thing that made Zixuan fall even harder for him. I mean, if you think about yourself in her shoes, the guy who told you to wait three years didn't keep his promise but then you learn that it was actually a misunderstanding on his part, and then he leans in to kiss you (just seconds after you were mad at him): I would think that this made Zixuan hold on even tighter to her love for him, because now she gets it that he really truly does love her the way she loves him.
So.. I think it was their first kiss (who Liufang initiated) that actually made her believe and grip tighter onto their love, hence one of the reasons why she appears to him in the second lifetime after they both willingly jumped off the cliff with each other. And I promise that I do have a point to all of this, I'm not just explaining this for no real purpose. In the second lifetime Zixuan has lost her innocence, which is what usually happens when you've gone through pain and hardship. You can see that she's got a rough edge to her now; she's got a harder exterior (which is also thanks to the actress's outstanding portrayal of the more mature Zixuan) because after what happened, she has learned that love is not all flowers and cotten candy: there's a dark and painful side to love that's very real too. She's no longer that naive and cute girl of the previous lifetime. What happened obviously left a huge scar inside her. But she still believes in holding onto their love and going after Yeping. In a way, it was almost like she was battling fate as well, in order to have a second chance to be with Yeping/Liufang.
And now here's the thing that wasn't supposed to happen: in their third lifetime together, Zixuan wasn't supposed to show up in front of Changqing anymore, but because Chong Lou would have killed him, she had to save him. And now here's the other thing that wasn't supposed to happen: Changqing remembered Zixuan even though his memories were sealed. See, some things aren't supposed to happen but they happen anyway. The way I look at it is that it was fate for them to come together for one last time before parting forever. Because with the current state that Zixuan was in, she really wasn't ready to truly let go of Changqing, and both needed to resolve the debts and suffering that they endured in their previous lifetimes. Zixuan was hurting from being traumatized and not being able to let go of a love that was supposed to be but couldn't be (I also think she did want to let go of Changqing, but it's like there was still something missing in her that made her unable to let go still). And you know? If it is true love that Changqing has for Zixuan, he'd love her no matter how many lifetimes she comes back to love him. So in another way, it was actually Zixuan who had to make the final decision and stop the cycle. And she did. All this has just made me realize that Zixuan actually has a very strong personality indeed.
So, my point to all of this is that we don't all start out perfect. We learn as we go on living, and that's what happened to Zixuan. In the beginning, she thought that love was enough to be together with the one she loved. Changqing/Liufang was like her life. Her whole world revolved around him, it was obvious. But in the end she started to see that it was her who was wrong, and this is why she was finally able to accept reality for what it really was. Third lifetime around she learned to how to love right, and that was to love selflessly by letting Changqing go once and for all. So she really is a good woman, and that's why she's my favorite alongside Changqing.

Ok, LOL sorry I keep on writing so much. I'm just passionate about this couple because I love their love story sooooo much. I find their love story so extraordinary.
But yeah, I'd love to hear any of your thoughts too.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 am

haha..I LOVE your discussion points!!!

Really well written and I wholeheartedly agree with you :D

I think it's just a poem that literally means the two people will hold hands and grow old together. At least that's what I think.

I thought it meant something like that. I watched a clip on youtube where the actors Wallace Huo Jian Hua (Changqing) and Tiffany Tang Yan (Zi Xuan) and they were playing out a little scene (on some program). Tiffany held onto Wallace's hand and recited those two lines, and said "I finally understand what it means.." then Wallace replied with "What does it actually mean..?" LOL, and everyone started cracking up- so I thought maybe the lines had a deeper more complex meaning, and that the actress actually doesn't know ^^;

Oh so true! I'm still happy that they both got to live at the end, even if they have to accept separation, at least neither didn't die! That would be the worst ending. Besides, the ending of them not dying and Changqing spitting the water back out was the best couple's-separation ending I've ever seen. lol

haha yes! As much as I wanted them to be together, that scene was actually my FAVOURITE!! I just thought..OMG how perfect and beautiful is this scene?? lol.. I've never come across such a well crafted scenario..totally didn't expect Changqing to secretly spit the water back out! I thought all hope was lost when he swallowed it..

It also goes to show that they're not weak- no matter how hard and painful it may be having those memories and moving on without each other, they will treasure and value it most. They will always carry it in their hearts.. and it will be worth it. I would go even more crazy if they just wiped it all away like that..*phew* You have no idea how relieved I was... haha!

That's also what I thought. Like wouldn't she have heard his loud laughter? I think she did. But I honestly don't know how Zixuan took it. It's a mystery.

I also thought the juxtaposition was really sad.. on one side we have Changqing laughing with joy..yet the same time we have Zi Xuan fading away in the back in tears...so sad =(

So from how I see it, it's not just that the cycle will end when Changqing no longer reincarnates; it doesn't even really matter anymore whether or not Changqing will reincarnate because the cycle will end no matter what since this is already the last life that Zixuan gets to live.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that point.. If she had kept Chong Lou's heart she would have stayed younger for longer, right? (I'm she you gave it back to him, I didn't like the idea of her literally having someone else's heart- what happened to her own one? @_@)

At first, she was given false hope because she realized that Changqing still remembers some of their memories together (during that scene when she finds him unconscious leaning on a tree in the forest). So because she thought that he'd be lonely without her (and because she always wants the best for him), she was mistaken in believing that the best thing to do is to get back with him, because at that time she thought that if Changqing still remembers her, those remaining memories and her love for him was enough for her to pursue him again. She thought that somewhere deep in his heart, he must have some kind of yearning for her if he was still able to remember her even after his memories were sealed, and this is why it made her want to be with him again and believed that her fate was to be together with Changqing one last time.

Totally agree with you! I thought it was totally understandable for her wanting to be involved in his life.. He really did love and yearn for her, otherwise why would he still remember her even though his memory was sealed? He started recovering parts of his memories when he didn't even see Zi Xuan... All that was required was her mere presence.

On a side note, this scene heightened my love for CP3 even more! Before Zi Xuan appeared, Changqing was already my favourite character in the drama and when I realized Changqing was involved in such a beautiful & tragic love story, it totally grabbed me. From then on all I wanted to see was Changqing and Zi Xuan.. ^^

Also, during the earlier episodes when Zixuan was talking to Shenggu, she said something about Changqing dying an unfair death in their second lifetime; so another reason why I think she couldn't let go of Changqing was because she still needed closure from what had happened in their past. The incident of Changqing/Yeping getting stabbed to death most likely left her traumatized (obviously since she loves him with all her heart) and probably scarred her badly so that's why she still wasn't able to let go of Changqing yet, if you get what I'm saying.

Yup, I remember her saying this..and the death really was so tragic and sudden- she didn't even get to tell him it was him she had always loved.. I totally agree that the incident left them both devastated and traumatized...It's a shame they were too stubborn to talk and work things out when they had the chance (this seems to be a common problem in relationships)

On another random thought- After Yeping died, how come Zi Xuan was still alive? I thought she was on the verge of being executed? And how come she was willing to give up her life at that point when Qing'er wasn't born yet? I suppose the circumstance of the situation/war didn't allow any time for her to have a choice, since it was her duty to protect her people...

And then after he wakes up in Nuwa's temple, he was crying and in so much pain because all of those old emotions of hurt and loss that he experienced with Zixuan in their previous lives started coming back to him. So it looks as if they both were hurting badly (it's just that Changqing didn't remember it like how Zixuan did until she appeared again in order to save his life)

Ah, I loved this scene too.. Wallace did an amazing job portraying the mixed feelings of confusion and pain in this scene (same goes for all his other scenes)

And the time they spent together in their third lifetime probably did more good than bad for the both of them. At least they finally got to resolve their problems, and move on with only good memories and the love they both have for each other in their hearts (now that Changqing knows for sure that he's always been the only man in Zixuan's heart). So even though their separation was a sad ending, it was also a good ending. I think it's the best ending to a love that lasted for 200 years. Especially for a love that's forbidden by heaven.

I'm really happy for their 'closure'.. how nuts would it be if they really did both just get burnt to death?? The scenes where Changqing had doubted Zi Xuan was really worrying me I must admit.. Changqing totally lost it and didn't let her have a chance to explain herself (kissing Chong Lou) and it looked like history was repeating itself. Luckily this time Zi Xuan wasn't stubborn and persistently did everything in her power to make it up to him and to let him know the truth. I love that this couple had to face so many challenges and obstacles, and were able to overcome then every time. How can a love be strong without its obstacles? I say all this because you mentioned that ' in their third lifetime probably did more good than bad for the both of them' but it was only good because they understood each other in the end.. It was also really nice seeing Changqing bond so well with his daughter, that was reallly cute.

(And.I think that's all I'll post for now, be back later ^_^)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

She hadn't gone through the kind of pain and heartbreak that love can cause until she meets Liufang. I love the actress who plays her because she did such an amazing job in portraying the cute and innocent Zixuan; it's such a great contrast to the Zixuan of the second and third lifetimes (but I'll get to those later).

Agreed! Tang Yan did an amazing job portraying Zi Xuan in all 3 lifetimes, (and she does look and feel remarkably younger during the first life).

Three years later they both meet each other at the lake again, Zixuan sees him, gets mad so she runs off, Liufang runs after her and she slaps him. But then a moment later they reconcile and he leans in to kiss her; and it's so bittersweet because I think that what Liufang did here was actually the very thing that made Zixuan fall even harder for him.

You know what amazes me? Zi Xuan was so sure about her love for Liu Fang, even when prior to the 3 year wait they didn't have physical contact, i.e kissing- (She pecked him on the cheeks, but that doesn't count) It just goes to show that it wasn't just some shallow loving/silly first crush thing that would last a couple of days/weeks- she really was serious and willing to make the commitment, even waiting for 3 years because she knew he was worth waiting for. (If you compare it to modern society today, a love like that probably wouldn't last long at all...but I guess it's a different period so.. XD)

I mean, if you think about yourself in her shoes, the guy who told you to wait three years didn't keep his promise but then you learn that it was actually a misunderstanding on his part, and then he leans in to kiss you (just seconds after you were mad at him): I would think that this made Zixuan hold on even tighter to her love for him, because now she gets it that he really truly does love her the way she loves him.

That was one of my favourite scenes.. man, what a passionate kiss!!! XD XD XD I agree, I think it would really confirm and reassure his love towards her. If he wasn't serious, he wouldn't do that at all, since he's a 'priest'.

And now here's the thing that wasn't supposed to happen: in their third lifetime together, Zixuan wasn't supposed to show up in front of Changqing anymore, but because Chong Lou would have killed him, she had to save him. And now here's the other thing that wasn't supposed to happen: Changqing remembered Zixuan even though his memories were sealed. See, some things aren't supposed to happen but they happen anyway. The way I look at it is that it was fate for them to come together for one last time before parting forever. Because with the current state that Zixuan was in, she really wasn't ready to truly let go of Changqing, and both needed to resolve the debts and suffering that they endured in their previous lifetimes. Zixuan was hurting from being traumatized and not being able to let go of a love that was supposed to be but couldn't be (I also think she did want to let go of Changqing, but it's like there was still something missing in her that made her unable to let go still). And you know? If it is true love that Changqing has for Zixuan, he'd love her no matter how many lifetimes she comes back to love him. So in another way, it was actually Zixuan who had to make the final decision and stop the cycle. And she did. All this has just made me realize that Zixuan actually has a very strong personality indeed.

WOAH. Brilliant!!! I couldn't have said it better myself :D I don't know what else to add!

Ok, LOL sorry I keep on writing so much. I'm just passionate about this couple because I love their love story sooooo much. I find their love story so extraordinary.
But yeah, I'd love to hear any of your thoughts too.

No, I should be saying thanks! It was a really good read! The whole way through I was just thinking 'YES! Exactly! YEA!!" lol....

On a slightly off-tangent note, did you also find Chong Lou's involvement in Changqing and Zi Xuan's story very interesting? Chong Lou was the one who initially injured Changqing to the point he was almost killed, which triggered Zi Xuan to intervene in order to save him. Then it was also Chong Lou who injured Zi Xuan to the point she was almost killed, which forced the Mt Shu elders to release the seal on Changqing, returning his memories to him.

Then of course, came the infamous kissing between Zi Xuan and Chong Lou (oh my, this scene shocked me..), which caused Changqing to go insane.. and just when the two were on the verge of being burnt to death, he comes to their rescue.

When I thought about all these points, I just realised how cool the story was even more XD It gave them both a extra challenge, even though Zi Xuan had no love interest in Chong Lou (thank goodness), it sparked some jealousy in Changqing and really tested both of them.

If you think about it, in the second and third life, Zi Xuan pretended to be flirting with a bunch of men just to provoke emotions/feelings out of Yeping/Changqing- It may be because of that that Changqing actually doubted her..(thinking it's not totally out of character)?

I don't know if I'm making any sense XD I can't express myself properly.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby lovelikethis » Thu May 06, 2010 4:48 am

Chibi Jennifer wrote:I thought it meant something like that. I watched a clip on youtube where the actors Wallace Huo Jian Hua (Changqing) and Tiffany Tang Yan (Zi Xuan) and they were playing out a little scene (on some program). Tiffany held onto Wallace's hand and recited those two lines, and said "I finally understand what it means.." then Wallace replied with "What does it actually mean..?" LOL, and everyone started cracking up- so I thought maybe the lines had a deeper more complex meaning, and that the actress actually doesn't know ^^;

Well that's odd. I wonder what other meaning it has. Maybe they were just fooling around, and since it was a program aimed at entertaining the audience, they were probably just making stuff up. Just seems logical. I'd do the same if it were me.

haha yes! As much as I wanted them to be together, that scene was actually my FAVOURITE!! I just thought..OMG how perfect and beautiful is this scene?? lol.. I've never come across such a well crafted scenario..totally didn't expect Changqing to secretly spit the water back out! I thought all hope was lost when he swallowed it..
It also goes to show that they're not weak- no matter how hard and painful it may be having those memories and moving on without each other, they will treasure and value it most. They will always carry it in their hearts.. and it will be worth it. I would go even more crazy if they just wiped it all away like that..*phew* You have no idea how relieved I was... haha!

That scene definitiely was just as you said: perfect and beautiful. And I thought I was the only one who felt that way about it, lol. It proved Changqing's unconditional and true love for her. And when he DID spit the water back out, oh my gosh you have no idea how hard I cried right at that moment! Because I never expected him to actually do something like that! The thought of him being able to spit the water back out never crossed my mind. Right when he put his fingers to his throat and the water came back out, you should have seen me, my jaw dropped WIDE OPEN and then tears just started POURING out. I was crying like mad! It was a good thing no one was around me at that time otherwise people would have thought I'd gone insane LOL. But what I cried were sad AND happy tears. Sad because they were separating, and I knew that they will never be able to be together again. Happy because he chose NOT to forget about the GOOD and SPECIAL woman who's the love of his life.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that point.. If she had kept Chong Lou's heart she would have stayed younger for longer, right? (I'm she you gave it back to him, I didn't like the idea of her literally having someone else's heart- what happened to her own one? @_@)

I'm pretty sure she still possessed her own heart. I assumed she just needed to claim Chong Lou's heart in order to slow down her aging. Btw, after she got Chong Lou's heart, did they mention anything about what would have happened to him? Like would his lifespan be shortened if he didn't have his heart?

I thought it was totally understandable for her wanting to be involved in his life.. He really did love and yearn for her, otherwise why would he still remember her even though his memory was sealed? He started recovering parts of his memories when he didn't even see Zi Xuan... All that was required was her mere presence.

Oh wow, you put it so perfectly! You only had to put this all in like, three or four sentences while I had to write a whole essay! LOL
"All that was required was her mere presence." -- Aww, this is a brilliant line you came up with.

-------------------------EDIT-----------------------

On another random thought- After Yeping died, how come Zi Xuan was still alive? I thought she was on the verge of being executed? And how come she was willing to give up her life at that point when Qing'er wasn't born yet? I suppose the circumstance of the situation/war didn't allow any time for her to have a choice, since it was her duty to protect her people...

I've thought about that many times already. I don't know, I guess it's supposed to be left up to the viewers' imaginations? We could make up tons of speculations and any of them could probably be right, lol.

And yes, I also loved Changqing's father-daughter bonding moments. So cute. He would have been such a great father.
Last edited by lovelikethis on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovelikethis
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby lovelikethis » Sat May 08, 2010 11:39 am

Chibi Jennifer wrote:Agreed! Tang Yan did an amazing job portraying Zi Xuan in all 3 lifetimes, (and she does look and feel remarkably younger during the first life).

Yep! Actually when I first saw her (the Zixuan of the first lifetime) in a few of the youtube MVs I thought she was a completely different person than the Zixuan of the second and third lifetimes because she just looked SO young with the bangs. BUT at that time I was like you, I didn't know that there was a Yeping and Liufang either; I just thought it was all Changqing too, LOL. So that's why I even thought that Changqing had TWO love interests: one being the older and mature-looking Zixuan and the other one being the younger Zixuan (whom I didn't know WAS Zixuan at that time) with the bangs. And I kept on thinking, "who's that girl wearing that mask that Changqing keeps reaching for?" While watching those scenes of Zixuan appearing and disappearing from Changqing (which I then discovered were only dreams that he kept on having), there was just this completely different feel and mysterious aura about her that made the whole series seem even more intriguing for me, because something like this was SO DIFFERENT from the CP1 series.

You know what amazes me? Zi Xuan was so sure about her love for Liu Fang, even when prior to the 3 year wait they didn't have physical contact, i.e kissing- (She pecked him on the cheeks, but that doesn't count) It just goes to show that it wasn't just some shallow loving/silly first crush thing that would last a couple of days/weeks- she really was serious and willing to make the commitment, even waiting for 3 years because she knew he was worth waiting for. (If you compare it to modern society today, a love like that probably wouldn't last long at all...but I guess it's a different period so.. XD)

That's the thing that amazes me as well. Some people just know. Zixuan just knew in her heart. And some people are just meant to have an unwavering and lasting love. I believe there are a lot of women in this world who are just like Zixuan, and when they love, they love with all their heart and soul, faithfully, and devotedly. But when it comes to the men, majority of them just don't love like most of us women do. And you know, in my opinion one of the best things about Zixuan and Changqing's love story is that Zixuan wasn't in love with a jerk, LOL. She wasn't in love with some guy who liked to mess around and flirt with other girls, and this is another reason why I love Changqing so much. He's just such.. a good guy, inward and outwardly. Zixuan has the best taste in men. LOL! And even though this is just a fictional story, I really admire the adoration, RESPECT, and REAL love between them.

On a slightly off-tangent note, did you also find Chong Lou's involvement in Changqing and Zi Xuan's story very interesting? Chong Lou was the one who initially injured Changqing to the point he was almost killed, which triggered Zi Xuan to intervene in order to save him. Then it was also Chong Lou who injured Zi Xuan to the point she was almost killed, which forced the Mt Shu elders to release the seal on Changqing, returning his memories to him. Then of course, came the infamous kissing between Zi Xuan and Chong Lou (oh my, this scene shocked me..), which caused Changqing to go insane.. and just when the two were on the verge of being burnt to death, he comes to their rescue.
When I thought about all these points, I just realised how cool the story was even more XD It gave them both a extra challenge, even though Zi Xuan had no love interest in Chong Lou (thank goodness), it sparked some jealousy in Changqing and really tested both of them. If you think about it, in the second and third life, Zi Xuan pretended to be flirting with a bunch of men just to provoke emotions/feelings out of Yeping/Changqing- It may be because of that that Changqing actually doubted her..(thinking it's not totally out of character)?

Ok I didn't think too much about Chong Lou's involvement before, but now that you've mentioned all of this, it is interesting! Wow, he played more of a major role than I thought. I don't have much else to say about Chong Lou because you've pretty much said it all. And I totally get what you're saying about the reason why Changqing doubted her and it does make sense. Actually I agree with you, I think Changqing began to think that Zixuan really was the kind of woman who just liked fooling around with men.

I don't know if I'm making any sense XD I can't express myself properly.

No, I completely understand everything you're saying! The things you say do make sense. I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself as well, because I'm constantly trying to figure out the right words to use that would make the most sense or that would feel right. I mean, I know how I feel about things, but sometimes I just can't find the right words for it so it takes me a longer time to write my responses. LOL

By the way, there's something that's been on my mind lately. You know in the last episode where Zixuan and Changqing are about the drink the forgetful water? -- okay when exactly did Zixuan actually pour the water out? I thought she did that when Changqing was drinking his and wasn't looking at her, but whenever I re-watch that scene, it doesn't seem like she'd have enough time to pour the water out (since she kind of did it slowly in the flashback that we're shown); and even if she did, wouldn't he have heard the water hitting the ground?

Return to “Chinese Paladin 3 仙劍奇俠傳 3”