Differences between GAME and DRAMA

Discussions on Chinese Paladin 3 drama (prequel), starring Hu Ge 胡歌 as Jing Tian, Yang Mi 楊冪 as Tang Xue Jian, Wallace Huo 霍建華 as Xu Changqing, Tang Yan 唐嫣 as Zi Xuan and Liu Shi Shi 刘诗诗 as Long Kui.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Differences between GAME and DRAMA

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:43 am

Would anyone be willing to help translate some of this for us not-that-great-at-chinese fans? XD There's a table in this Chinese wiki article which outlines the major differences between the original game and TV>

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E4%BB%99 ... 5%89%A7%29

I understood most of it, but yeh...not all XD

Thanks!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Re: Differences between GAME and DRAMA

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 am

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional translator, and I'm only doing this for fun. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I will edit my post. Flame me, and... er... be ignored. Take that! Source as provided by Chibi Jennifer (click)

Scenario/Character: Opening
Game: Fei Peng and Chong Lou's battle 1000 years ago
Drama: Jing Tian's conversation with Qing Wei

Scenario/Character: Xu Mao Shan/He Bi Ping
Game: Only small parts
Drama: Given heavier roles

Scenario/Character: Meeting of Xue Jian and Jing Tian
Game: Xue Jian looking for the cover of the teapot in Jing Tian's room. There was an earthquake, and Jing Tian was injured by Xue Jian's poisonous... er... things (prickly stuff that ninjas use when they retreat. Don't know the English term for it.)
Drama: On the street, when the Ying Yang jade pieces were attracted to each other. No poison things scenario.

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's self-introduction
Game: Scenery's (feng jing) Jing, and sky's (tian kong) Tian
Drama: Jing Tian's Jing, and Jing Tian's Tian

Scenario/Character: Poison People (those zombie-like people)
Game: Demon people from Pi Li Tang
Drama: Original story

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian and Xue Jian's meeting with Chang Qing
Game: Jing Tian and Xue Jian escaped from Pi Li Tang's branch, and ran into Chang Qing and Zi Xuan at the ferry point. (Because of Zi Xuan, Chang Qing was Shu Shan's expelled student)
Drama: Jing Tian and Xue Jian were attacked by poison people, and Chang Qing saved them. (Zi Xuan have not appeared, and Chang Qing was Shu Shan's scout)

Scenario/Character: Xue Jian's first meeting with Hua Ying (the little fairy thing)
Game: Xue Jian avoiding Tang Yi, accidentally stumbling into the secret tunnel. (Jing Tian wasn't by her side)
Drama: Xue Jian and Jing Tian accidentally discovering the secret tunnel while avoiding poison people.

Scenario/Character: Hua Ying's statuses
Game: Occasionally becoming human form (Xue Jing and company don't know about her ability to become human form; uses Five Poison Pearl to cure poison)
Drama: Potato (resting), beast form, and human form (uses own magic power to cure poison)

Scenario/Character: Pi Li Tang Headquarters
Game: In De Yang (place in Szechuan, China), with a branch in Bin Hua Gambling Den
Drama: Under Yu Zhou's 'Da San Yuan'

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's first meeting with Chong Lou
Game: Chong Lou going to Yong An Pawn Shop to pawn the demon sword for one copper coin
Drama: Chong Lou challenging Fei Peng (Jing Tian) to a duel, and accepting one copper coin as symbol of the promise (to duel)

Scenario/Character: Xie Jian Xian's appearance
Game: Massacring Peng Lai Sect; met Jing Tian and Zi Xuan. Was refered to by Chong Lou as useless scum, and escaped after losing to Chong Lou. Pretended to be Qing Wei, and went up Shu Shan with Chang Qing. Broke Suo Yao Ta's seal himself, and escaped.
Drama: No Peng Lai Sect scenario. After forming, power is above Chong Lou. No pretending to be Qing Wei, and no going up Shu Shan. Summoned from Suo Yao Ta by Jing Tian, and sealed in a box.

Scenario/Character: Xue Jian taking over as Tang Men's leader
Game: After Tang Kun's death, and defeating Tang Tai's disciples
Drama: Tang Kun directly asking Xue Jian to take over as a last wish

Scenario/Character: Person who exposed Xue Jian's past
Game: Tang Zhi Yun
Drama: Tang Tai

Scenario/Character: Sheng Gu
Game: Appeared in Man Zhou's Nu Wa Temple before
Drama: According to CP1's character creation, appears in Nu Wa Temple scenario

Scenario/Character: Chang Qing's first encounter with Zi Xuan
Game: Chang Qing was injured by the escaped demons from Suo Yao Ta, and Zi Xuan saved him (beginning of the Wai Zhuan). Qing Wei mistook Zi Xuan for a demoness. Zi Xuan didn't indulge in love.
Drama: Chang Qing was injured by Chong Lou, and saved by Zi Xuan. Chang Qing didn't know that the Five Elders of Shu Shan knew about Zi Xuan's identity. Zi Xuan was drinking and making merry with many men when Chang Qing first 'met' her.

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's first meeting with Long Kui
Game: After Jing Tian left Yong An Pawnshop, and before he went up Shu Shan. Xue Jian's birth has not yet been exposed by Tang Zhi Yun.
Drama: Before Jing Tian left Yong An Pawnshop, and after he went up Shu Shan. Xue Jian's birth has already been exposed by Tang Tai.

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's first knowledge about 'Red Dress Long Kui'
Game: Not long after Long Kui appeared
Drama: After reaching An Ning Village

Scenario/Character: Reason to look for the Five Magic Pearls
Game: To restore the seal at Suo Yao Ta
Drama: To enter Heavenly Realm to destroy Xie Jian Xian

Scenario/Character: Timing to reach An Ning Village
Game: Before Jing Tian went up Shu Shan
Drama: After Jing Tian went up Shu Shan

Scenario/Character: Place at which Jing Tian stayed in An Ning Village
Game: Wan Residence
Drama: Inn

Scenario/Character: Wan Yu Zhi saving her husband
Game: Wan Yu Zhi is an embodiment of an Earth Deity. Jing Tian and Zi Xuan ran into Wan Yu Zhi saving her husband. Wan Yu Zhi's husband turning into earth. Wan Yu Zhi had the Earth Pearl long ago, but it was stolen by Jing Jing.
Drama: Wan Yu Zhi is a fox spirit. Jing Tian and Chang Qing ran into Wan Yu Zhi saving her husband. Wan Yu Zhi's husband is only in a coma. Wan Yu Zhi didn't know of the Earth Pearl before Sheng Gu told her.

Scenario/Character: When getting the Earth Pearl
Game: Luo Ru Lie's first appearance
Drama: Luo Ru Lie appeared long before

Scenario/Character: Reason for going to the Ghost Realm
Game: To locate Xue Jian's spirit
Drama: To locate Fire Pearl

Scenario/Character: Timing at which they went to Ghost Realm
Game: After getting the Thunder Pearl from Lei Zhou
Drama: Before getting the Thunder Pearl from Lei Zhou

Scenario/Character: Names of the Ghost Realm
Game: Lava Hell, Ghost Realm; specified as the place of reincarnation for the Five Realms
Drama: Paradise, Evil Spirits Realm

Scenario/Character: Xi Feng's identity
Game: Once Chong Lou's henchman, but eloped with Shui Bi. Right hand man of Chong Lou when he dueled Fei Peng.
Drama: Originally human, but gave 500 years of his time and voice to Chong Lou for Shui Bi. Became Chong Lou's slave in exchange for good looks.

Scenario/Character: Passing the Lava Hell
Game: Zi Xuan summoning the Water Elemental
Drama: Used the tears of true love to extinguish the fire the first time, and Chang Qing used magic to extinguish the fire the second time

Scenario/Character: Gender of the Fire Ghost King (uh... Queen)
Game: Male
Drama: Female

Scenario/Character: Battle with Chong Lou in Ghost Realm
Game: No such scenario
Drama: Original scenario

Scenario/Character: Getting the Fire Pearl
Game: Defeat the Fire Ghost King
Drama: Jing Tian used a scam marriage to the Fire Ghost Queen

Scenario/Character: To get the Thunder Pearl
Game: Xue Jian agreed to marry Yun Ting if he took revenge for her, but didn't in the end. Chang Qing sucked the Thunder Pearl out of Yun Ting's body
Drama: Xue Jian married Yun Ting as a scam, and sucked the Thunder Pearl out of Yun Ting's body

Scenario/Character: Xie Jian Xian did this to Xue Jian...
Game: Killed. Jing Tian and company went to the Ghost Realm via Feng Du to look for Xue Jian's spirit. Xie Jian Xian had a physical form
Drama: Brought to Xuan You Zhi Jing, and turned into a tree. Jing Tian and company went to Xuan You Zhi Jing to look for Xue Jian. Xie Jian Xian didn't have a physical form

Scenario/Character: Reason for going to the Godly Realm
Game: To locate the Wind Pearl
Drama: To find a way to save Xue Jian and to cleanse Xie Jian Xian

Scenario/Character: Tian Di rewarding Xue Jian the heart of the Heavenly Tree

Scenario/Character: Cleansing Xie Jian Xian at Tian Chi

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's arrival in Heaven Realm
Game: Almost no one recognised Jing Tian when he was stopped by the Heavenly Guards. Xi Yao sent Jing Tian and company away to ensure they didn't get captured.
Drama: Everyone saluted Jing Tian as General Fei Peng, and Tian Di came to see him. Tian Di rewarded Jing Tian, and even let him duel with Chong Lou again

Scenario/Character: Fei Peng's sword
Game: The sword had no name; Shu Shan's name for it was Zhen Yao Jian
Drama: Was already named Zhen Yao Jian in Heaven Realm

Scenario/Character: The first encounter between Fei Peng and Chong Lou
Game: Battle between gods and demons, Fei Peng and Chong Lou was evenly matched. They agreed to duel in New Heaven Realm
Drama: Xi Feng suggested Chong Lou to go duel with Fei Peng

Scenario/Character: The reason between the loss of Zhen Yao Jian
Game: Fei Peng felt the Heavenly army after him is about to reach him, was distracted, and Zhen Yao Jian fell to the earth (hit by Chong Lou)
Drama: The Heavenly army had already reached them, the sword was buried in Chong Lou, but fell to the earth after Chong Lou pulled it out

Scenario/Character: The acquisition of Wind Pearl
Game: Chong Lou provided information. Xi Yao gave the Wind Pearl to Jing Tian
Drama: No scenario of Chong Lou providing information to Jing Tian. Xi Yao gave the Wind Pearl to Xue Jian. Jing Tian only knew of it after leaving Heaven Realm

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian and Chong Lou's final battle
Game: After defeating Xie Jian Xian. In New Heaven Realm
Drama: Before defeating Xie Jian Xian. In Heaven Realm

Scenario/Character: Chang Qing's punishment to get rid of evil

Scenario/Character: Water Pearl
Game: Zi Xuan swallowed it
Drama: Zi Xuan used to seal Qing Er

Scenario/Character: Entering Suo Yao Ta
Game: Long Kui entered with Jing Tian, Xue Jian and Zi Xuan
Drama: Long Kui entered herself. Zi Xuan never entered Suo Yao Ta.

Scenario/Character: Side quest: Ice Crystal Lady's request
Game: Bring the ashes of Shu Shan's disciples back as proof
Drama: No proper end

Scenario/Character: Zi Xuan wanting to help Tian Yao Huang
Game: Tian Yao Huang is unwilling to trust humans anymore
Drama: No such scenario

Scenario/Character: Tian Yao Huang's ending
Game: Tian Yao Huang is destroyed, leaving only his bones
Drama: After Jing Tian left, Tian Yao Huang is unable to leave because of the seal. Became Xie Jian Xian's lackey, and appears to have been destroyed after Xie Jian Xian was destroyed.

Scenario/Character: Repairing Suo Yao Ta
Game: Choice between sacrifice of Zi Xuan or Chong Lou using his demonic powers to seal it
Drama: Using the magic powers of the Five Pearls to seal it

Scenario/Character: Xi Feng and Shui Bi's appearance near An Xi Village
Game: Underwater volcano was about to erupt, but the two used an underwater city to stop it. They then proceeded to use their own magic powers to extinguish the power of the earth fire of the volcano.
Drama: Xi Feng was originally from An Xi Village, and Shui Bi became a statue waiting for Xi Feng's return. The underwater city was destroyed by the underwater volcano.

Scenario/Character: Shui Bi's identity
Game: Used to be one of the godly officials assigned to arrest Fei Peng
Drama: Only mentioned as a goddess in charge of all the rivers and streams

Scenario/Character: Xu Mao Shan's exchange for food with his own flesh
Game: No such scene
Drama: Original scene

Scenario/Character: Appearance of Li Xiao Yao
Game: No such scene
Drama: Original scene

Scenario/Character: Sword Grave
Game: Relic of Jiang Guo. Pi Li Tang to help Xie Jian Xian craft the Evil Sword
Drama: No mention of the Sword Grave. Qing Wei helps Jing Tian craft a new sword to handle Xie Jian Xian.

Scenario/Character: Sacrifice of Xue Jian/Long Kui
Game: To save Jing Tian
Drama: To craft the sword

Scenario/Character: Swordcrafting
Game: Xie Jian Xian crafting the Evil Sword using Mo Jian and Zhen Yao Jian's powers. Choice to recraft either the powerless Mo Jian, or the powerless Zhen Yao Jian. Choice to sacrifice Long Kui or Xue Jian
Drama: Qing Wei combined Mo Jian and Zhen Yao Jian. Sacrificed Long Kui.

Scenario/Character: Final Boss
Game: Chong Lou
Drama: Xie Jian Xian

Scenario/Character: Chang Qing taking over as leader of Shu Shan
Game: Cang Gu appointed before his death
Drama: Official passing down by the Five Elders of Shu Shan

Scenario/Character: Ending of the Five Elders of Shu Shan
Game: Qing Wei is killed by Xie Jian Xian, and the rest passed away after Xie Jian Xian is finished.
Drama: Unknown, but because there were the words 'xian shi' (late teacher) in Chang Qing's dialogue after taking over as leader, it's possible they passed on not long after passing down the position.

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian's business in Yu Zhou
Game: Ding Shi Yan helps Jing Tian to open Xin An Pawnshop
Drama: No Xin An Pawnshop. He Bi Ping helps Jing Tian to distribute 'shares'.

Scenario/Character: Long Kui's resurrection
Game: Possible, depending on the player's choice
Drama: Impossible

Scenario/Character: Jing Tian and Xue Jian's ending
Game: Has a son named Jing Xiao Lou, and took Li San Si as a disciple
Drama: Unknown, but according to Tian Di, Jing Tian's life shouldn't be too long

Scenario/Character: Overall Ending
Game: Actual ending is the happy ('complete') ending.
Drama: Not the happy ending.
Last edited by God on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need more wuxia in my life.

:P :P :P

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:10 am

wow, thanks so much for translating that! Definitely gives me a good insight into the differences :) I'm probably a bit biased since I watched the drama and not did not play the game, but I feel that some of the changes made in the drama made it good compared to the game- like MaoMao's death for example, it made it really touching and it was one of the only scenes I cried in. I also prefer Changqing & Zi Xuan's story more XD
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 am

You're very much welcome. Admittedly, it's not very good because it was done in a rush lol. Oh well.

I only played the game a little, so I can't accurately make a comparison, but I think both versions have their merits. Mao Mao's flesh-giving scenario was nice, but I felt the marriage scam was overused in the drama series (come one, twice?).

And, uh... up until now, I have not seen a single movie/tv series based on a game surpass the game itself. That's my personal bias lol.

Off topic side note: I'm looking forward to the Xuan Yuan Jian tv series. I love ancient China themes.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:38 pm

haha yeh..the marriage scam x 2 is a bit..weird! And although it's fake, but didn't Jing Tian technically get married?? XD

Also, I did not like Xue Jian doing nothing..she can't even fight properly :S It made her a pretty useless vase especially towards the end when she gets with Jing Tian.. I'm sure in the game she can fight. Here she can't even beat a Mt Shu disciple?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Polygamous Jing Tian lol. Xue Jian could fight in the game, so I was slightly amused when I watched the drama, and her fighting was relatively minimal.

HIDDEN ENDING: Jing Tian, Xue Jian and the Fire Ghost Queen lead happy, fulfilling lives as fundamentalist Mormons... lol. Just kidding. :P

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 pm

lol, thought you were being serious for a moment there :p

In terms of changes, I also liked how Chong Lou turned into a good guy, his love for Zi Xuan was quite sweet - I was surprised he wasn't the last big bad villain in the end..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Maybe if someone decides to make a fan game for CP3 lol. There are, after all, multiple fan games for CP1.

I think they wanted to make Chong Lou likeable. I like the original Chong Lou more, actually. More genuine about his thirst for competition and bloodlust. CP has always thrived on its love stories (except 2. 2 was the disappointment of the series). I also didn't like the cameo by Xiao Yao, but it's fan service, I think. Just to have a little connection between the two drama series, and something for the more diehard fans to wink knowingly about.

I like the fleshing out of the poison people story arc. That was nice. I also find Long Kui and Hua Ying very cute. The character designs in the show, that is.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:35 pm

By poison people story do you mean the vampire stuff at the beginning? I just thought that was way too creepy for my liking O_O What was that whole deal about anyways? I didn't really get the Pi Li Tang stuff o_O?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah, the vampire/zombie people. 'Poisonous people' is just the literal translation from Chinese (毒人 = Du Ren = Poisonous People) lol.

As for the story, I'll go re-watch the part before explaining. I don't like to talk out of my behind lol. And as much as I like it, I don't remember it too well. I have a bad memory (which is why I re-read books and re-watch shows when I have the time lol).

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 pm

haha, that's okay :) You probably watched it a while back when it was first released! I was just a bit slow when it came to seeing the drama :S
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Yep, I watched it when it was first released. Or close to it. I remember going,'That's one hot potato when Hua Ying first showed her human form.

Nah, I'll re-watch it anyway. I like this conversation so far, so I'd like to continue with it lol.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:23 pm

I only recently finished it and I feel like re-watching scenes again! (haha, but that's mainly scenes of Changqing..I really liked his character..)

I wouldn't want to re-watch the vampire stuff, seriously they scared me so much! XD XD half the time I was covering my eyes and I couldn't wait till the whole thing was over (it lasted quite a few episodes!)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 pm

He is pretty nice, yes. Chang Qing, that is. Rigid as he is, he turned out alright.

You're funny lol. The vampire stuff isn't even a little scary to me lol, but I suppose everyone has his/her own definition of scary.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 pm

lol, don't be surprised, I'm scared by a LOT of things XD XD But yeh..I've never really been too good with the Chinese vampire stuff despite the falseness in the err..pink/blue/green lighting. >__<

And yes, Changqing is so cute, haha! I thought he would be a boring serious character (like Ah Qi in Chinese Paladin) but he was way more handsome and likable. His innocence makes him so cute and funny without him even knowing.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Return to “Chinese Paladin 3 仙劍奇俠傳 3”