My Thoughts on Chinese Paladin 3 **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussions on Chinese Paladin 3 drama (prequel), starring Hu Ge 胡歌 as Jing Tian, Yang Mi 楊冪 as Tang Xue Jian, Wallace Huo 霍建華 as Xu Changqing, Tang Yan 唐嫣 as Zi Xuan and Liu Shi Shi 刘诗诗 as Long Kui.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Re: My Thoughts on Chinese Paladin 3 **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 am

haha yaaaaay! I was wondering if you'd drop by here, and glad you did!!

I really got into CP3. Overall it seemed to be better made than CP1. Better special effects, better opening and closings, much better pacing with no multi-episode arcs featuring characters we don't know... but at the end I don't think I connected as much with the characters as CP1 and I think part of the reason was that most of these characters were all gods, immortals, princes, princesses, etc... a bit hard to connect to despite how beautiful their stories were told. CP1 though had more "average" people in the main group. Kind of like comparing Star Wars IV - VI with I - III actually. Much easier to connect with the middle class than galactic senators and politicians.

Interesting you say that since I never thought of it that way. It's probably because I watched Chinese Paladin knowing it will be about really cool characters with a beautiful aura :D Having said that though CP3 does contain more immortals and 'gods' especially when they visit the celestial realm. This makes the plot of CP3 more of a "worldy" matter (i.e it's about them saving the whole world, which involves 6 different realms) where in CP1 the fight was against Bai Yue which is essentially saving a small country (Nan Zhao Guo)

Jian Tian was awesome and Mao Mao, someone who I thought I would hate (comedy relief guy) really great on me quickly and became one of my favourites. His emotional depth in his acting towards the end really impressed me.

haha, I think everyone loves Jing Tian, and probably the character most guys can relate to :) Similar to Xiaoyao, aye? I completely agree about MaoMao. I didn't think I would like him much but he proved me wrong :D He is actually smarter than he probably appears but isn't taken too seriously, poor guy.

White Tofu was awesome (and HOT!) though his mid life crisis with the box came out of nowhere. They had more than 20 eps to drop hints at how much he loved his teachers but they didn't really offer anything at all until he opened the box and went crazy.

*sigh* That was depressing.. very unbearable to watch actually. He's still my favourite character though! What did you think of Zixuan? You didn't really say much about her, hehe XD

Long Kui... great character design and I loved the fact she could change to battle mode but was confused a bit with her. Was she possessed by a demon or did she develop multiple personality disorder? Neither possibility was even talked about by ANYONE. Loved the sister / brother dynamic she had but it really felt like she was missing character growth and a love interest (especially in the underwater city).

I really liked Red Kui, hehe, she looked so cool! Such a shame she's blue most of the time. She wasn't possessed by a demon, (since she is Red Kui as well) but developed a multiple personality disorder due to being bullied and scared in the Demon Locking Tower.

Jing Tian was supposed to be her love interest, lol... but they kinda took that away in the drama and made her only have this sibling love... which is why she looks a bit lonely (and single!)

Huang (spl?) really interested me but was a bit let down with how weak she was considering just how old she was (since the beginning of the Earth, right?). Out of all the characters she was definitely the most underdeveloped. She didn't even get a mention in the final episode. :x

Um, are you referring to Hua Ying, the little flying potato thing?

Loved all the past life stories. LOVED the fact the characters had more than one past life (first time I'd seen this in a show).

Totally agree!! It gave the characters so much depth and it tied the story together so well :)

Not sure what purpose the Spirit Orbs had.

I think they were suppose to be used t seal the Demon Locking Tower again after Chong Lou had broken into it, which released the demons.

That Lotus Flower sure is a convenient plot device.

hm? Which lotus flower?

Yay for REAL kissing this time around!!!

YES!! So much passion too (relating to Changqing/Zixuan) in his first life especially..omg. XD
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Brad
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby Brad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Zixuan was great visually but she didn't really wow me or disappoint me if you know what I mean. I remember liking her quite a bit when she was first introduced but when she started worrying about her looks (when her man was going to age AS WELL) I kind of disconnected from the character. Didn't hate her though.

The lotus! You know that thing they brought back Zixuan's baby with. It was kind of "You have to choose! You must make the decision! Will you let your daughter die to save the world?"

5 minutes later...

"Oh, yeah. We saved here with this lotus. Did we forget to mention we had that?" :evil:

And they used it TWICE. Seemed like a bit of a cop out for extra drama is all. They hyped it up as there being no way to save her and then all the characters actually knew about this lotus thing all along. :!:

Yeah the pearls didn't really do anything did they? There was a big deal about them sealing the tower so the demons can't escape, etc but then a few eps later that demon is taken out of it and the elders dumped inside it. Kind of confused me is all. lol.

p.s. Hua Ying! That's her name! Was anyone else expecting her to turn into a potato during the foodless episodes at the end and cause a riot over who wants to eat her? Seriously surprised they didn't play on the fact she turns into food. :)
Studying Mandarin Chinese! --> http://www.learningmandarinchinese.info
Sailor Moon! --> http://www.moonkitty.net

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:28 am

I remember liking her quite a bit when she was first introduced but when she started worrying about her looks (when her man was going to age AS WELL) I kind of disconnected from the character. Didn't hate her though.

It did seem like she cared a lot about her looks (implying Changqing would not like her if she aged) and although that's not true, I think she has her reasons. I don't think it had too much to do with the fact she'll age like a normal person, but she would age much quicker. Remember the scene on the flying boat, after she used her energy to try save Xue Jian? She started getting white hair, and her hands started to wrinkle. I don't think that's normal aging process for someone who looks in her mid 20s.. then we had the ending shot when her hair was completely white. She has her insecurities, and just didn't realise Changqing will love her no matter what. Kinda sad that she tried so hard for him and even went as far as to steal Chong Lou's heart just so Changqing can love her longer...which lead to more problems and misunderstandings.

And they used it TWICE. Seemed like a bit of a cop out for extra drama is all. They hyped it up as there being no way to save her and then all the characters actually knew about this lotus thing all along. :!:

oh, haha yes..that was kinda weird. It was like they were playing a prank on Changqing and Zixuan, leaving them so depressed and traumatized for no reason.

p.s. Hua Ying! That's her name! Was anyone else expecting her to turn into a potato during the foodless episodes at the end and cause a riot over who wants to eat her? Seriously surprised they didn't play on the fact she turns into food. :)

Oh, haha I didn't really care much about her character (didn't like her much overall actually) so I didn't think too much of her disappearance.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Return to “Chinese Paladin 3 仙劍奇俠傳 3”