Chinese Ghost story of CLYF

For Asian entertainment & artist discussions, polls, news and articles. Anything from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore etc!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: ZhaoLingErLingErLiLiXiaoYao

Chinese Ghost story of CLYF

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm

already watched the trailer of CLYF in CHinese ghost stories? or enchanting spirit?
heres a link from youtube for those who dont?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK1xTixsG8

think its for the U.K. trailer....
yay many projects for Liu Yi Fei!
:D :D :D
hope there will be another series in china with Hu Ge! (seems to be impossible right now!)

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Re: Chinese Ghost story of CLYF

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 pm

i think its only a special appearance? correct me if im wrong... i didnt see her in the video...haha :D :D :D :D

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm

ummm...that isn't the trailer for the movie Liu Yifei is in.. The filming hasnt started yet ^^; There are various versions of 'The Chinese Ghost Story'' and that's probably just one of the many..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 pm

yeah.... just thinking of what liu yifei;s role in it will be? :roll: :roll:

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 am

It's likely LYF will take the leading female role :)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm

i love to see her in movies.... but i like it the most if its in another series...... hope its not CP 2 cause i think it would be boring to have Li Yiru and the LInger Zhao the same actress.... that's why i didnt like jing tian so much..... :oops:

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 pm

huh? Didn't you vote in the other poll that Jing Tian was your favourite character? lol
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:49 pm

in chinese paladin 3...... but not in The whole drama series........ its like seeing LiXiaoYao but not him.... haha hard to explain.. :)

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:56 pm

I've posted some pictures from "A Chinese Ghost Story" press release conference: http://chinesepaladin.org/a-chinese-gho ... -louis-koo
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

xiaoyaoli_lingerli
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby xiaoyaoli_lingerli » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm

well the translation of the title are one of the debate in the other forums... whether its Chinese Ghost story or enchanting spirit...... because they say CLYF isnt a ghost in the story but a spirit.... which one do you prefer? :?

:D :D :D

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 am

A teaser trailer poster has been released! Check it out here: http://chinesepaladin.org/a-chinese-gho ... ser-poster :)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 am

And this movie is now out in cinemas!! Has anyone seen this yet? I'd love to watch it except I don't think it's screening in Sydney...? :x
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Kenshin
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Kenshin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 pm

I just finished watching it last night. Sorry if this gets a little long. I'll try to not post any spoilers.

I haven't seen any of the previous Chinese Ghost Story movies so I can't compare the two. Having only read a brief synopsis of this movie, I had no idea what to expect. It looked like a fantasy, a romance, horror, and maybe a bit of action. I can say that after watching this, it is a blend of fantasy, romance, and action. LOTS of action.

One thing I have to praise off the bat is the colors of the background. I'm a sucker for bright colors and there are plenty of them. It helps that the actors wear costumes that are very mute which makes the backgrounds pop out. It adds a level of mysticism to the movie since you would never see these kinds of trees anywhere in real life.

Now, to the movie. A government official named Ning Caichen arrives at the Black Mountain Village during an intense drought period. He decides to head up the mountain to find a water source. He goes with a couple of other people and eventually finds water. However, the majority of his group is taken and killed by the demons (spirits/ghosts/demons. I don't really know what they are, but the subtitles said 'demon' so I'll call them demons) by having their life force sucked away. Caichen is approached by Nie Xiaoqian (Liu Yifei) and is about to get his energy taken, but he rejects her advances and eventually befriends her.

Meanwhile, a group of 'Spirit Masters' are hunting down demons and eventually seal away the Tree Demon, the demons' leader. Yan Chixia (Louis Koo), one of the top Spirit Masters, also had a relationship with Xiaoqian. The movie then deals upon the growing relationship between Xiaoqian and Caichen, Chixia's hunt of the demons, and the Tree Demon's return.

Acting, I'll only talk about Liu Yifei's at the moment. I know she's gotten a lot of flak for being wooden, emotionless, and playing the same type of character, but I thought she did ok here. Yes, she does play the same type we've seen before (Lonely girl, meets guy, can't believe guy wants to be with her, big troubles happen with guy) but this is a bit different wherein we actually see the more fun, light-heart moments of their relationship. One moment that sticks out is when she gets, basically an addiction, to sugar candy.

Effects, I was surprised. Just like the scenery, the effects are all kinds of colorful. Whenever a demon gets killed, they explode into an array of colorful dust that reminds me of nebula. Do you find the colors in this picture beautiful? http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9238/ruhnp.jpg If so, you're in luck because blends of color like this explode everywhere. All very seamless and it blends very well into the movie.

Action-wise, I was very surprised. I should've known from the director of Ip Man, SPL, and Flash Point that there would've been some action. Most action involves fighting with magic and whatnot, but there are some sequences of hand to hand combat. One in particular that sticks out involves a one-armed swordsman. The action is very typical of Wilson Yip; fast paced, sound effects that sound like two cannons are launched at each other. Just great.

On the negative side, and I can't really fault the movie for this but I was a bit disappointed it wasn't scary. I know that ghost movies don't have to be scary, but that was my first impression. There is a jump scare or two some imagery that, if I actually saw in real life, I would pee my pants, but that's about it.

I wish we could've got to know more about the demons and Spirit Masters. The Spirit Masters' various magic attacks are great to look at and it would've been great to know more about them and how they got those powers. The demons could've just used more time. I would've liked to see more development on the Tree Demon.

And I'm sorry, but that ending just made me go -_-. After all that's happened, you go and do that?! -_-. Just -_-

Overall, its definitely worth a watch. I'd give it a solid 7/10

Return to “Asian Drama and Entertainment”