Question about LoCH/RoCH.

For Asian entertainment & artist discussions, polls, news and articles. Anything from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore etc!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Effka
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Question about LoCH/RoCH.

Postby Effka » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:09 am

Hey I was wondering about these shows because lots of people say RoCH is really good show, I was gonna watch the one with Ling'er(forgot her real name lol) in it but I havent yet.. Tho recently I see they are remaking for 2007 version of LoCH with Hu Ge and Ariel lin(think thats her name) and i cant wait...

My question is, do I need to watch LoCH first before RoCH to understand anything thats going down with the characters? or should I just wait for the Hu Ge version of LoCH to come out and then watch RoCH later on?

Thanks ^^

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:59 am

When I watched ROCH, I havent watched LOCH (still haven't) and no, you don't really need to watch LOCH to understand ROCH..cause although the main characters from LOCH appear in it, they aren't as main and references and 'flash backs" are shown to LOCH so it's not confusing for the viewer. The cast will be different anyway ^^;;
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Effka
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby Effka » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:09 am

Ahh ok cool thanks, I guess I can check it out then :D

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Re: Question about LoCH/RoCH.

Postby soulawaken » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:18 pm

Effka wrote:Hey I was wondering about these shows because lots of people say RoCH is really good show, I was gonna watch the one with Ling'er(forgot her real name lol) in it but I havent yet.. Tho recently I see they are remaking for 2007 version of LoCH with Hu Ge and Ariel lin(think thats her name) and i cant wait...

My question is, do I need to watch LoCH first before RoCH to understand anything thats going down with the characters? or should I just wait for the Hu Ge version of LoCH to come out and then watch RoCH later on?

Thanks ^^

Urm.. I will suggest you watch the whole condor series. But while waiting for LOTCH 2007. you can either choose to just watch ROTCH 2006 or watch both LOTCH 2003 and ROTCH 2006....

Anyway, the storyline of the two shows are inter-connected but somehow very different. In LOTCH, the whole story is revolving around Guo Jing, Huang Rong (Rong'er), Yang Kang and Mu Nian Ci...
In ROTCH, Yang Kang and Mu Nian Ci is dead. Their son Yang Guo became the main character. Yang Kang and Nian Ci is only mentioned but not casted in ROTCH. Guo Jing and Huang Rong became older and they initially had only one child, Guo Fu. Yang Guo went on and met Xiao Long Nu ( acted by Liu Yi Fei[Ling'er])... And Later on, sixteen years later, Guo Jing have two more children, Guo Xiang( created famous E-mei sect) and Guo Pu Lu...

I think it is no use for me to explain cos the storylines are quite complicated. But to summarise, in LOTCH, the main characters are Guo jing and Huang Rong( Rong'er). But in ROTCH, the main characters are Yang Guo (acted by Huang Xiao Ming) and Xiao Long Nu( acted by LYF [Ling'er]). So their storyline are connected but pretty different. Just go wikipedia and type in Condor trilogy and look out for more information.. :D

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Similarly, Ive watched heavenly sword dragon saber before (part of the trilogy) and apart from some very minor references, the story don't REALLY link..totally different story and characters.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Chibi Jennifer wrote:Similarly, Ive watched heavenly sword dragon saber before (part of the trilogy) and apart from some very minor references, the story don't REALLY link..totally different story and characters.

YEah... In HSDS, Yang Guo is only mentioned when asked the origin of the Heavenly Sword and the Dragon Saber which originated from Yang Guo's swords... Guo Xiang was only mentioned for the E-mei sect.. Mei Cao Feng (one of the students of Huang Yao Shi) was mentioned for her Jiu Yin Bai Gu Zhao.... The story is somewhat linked but since it is more than a hundred years later, none of the characters in ROTCH of LOTCH is present..

Terrapin Knight
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Terrapin Knight » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Mei Chaofeng, not Cao.

The story of the Condor trilogy was constructed to be self contained, barring the historical setting. Unfortunately, the unit Jin Yong chose was the trilogy rather than each novel. There exists both in LotCh and RotCH some character relations that started before the novel's events, but the ones in LotCH will be investigated and explained as the story progresses. On the other hand, if you started with RotCH, you will have to take certain character relationships for granted, whereas if you started with LotCH, the character relationships are revealed within the story itself.

Depending on how the script writer and directors handle this, it may or may not be a problem. There are aspects of the 2006 RotCH that are not explained by the series itself, such as Guo Jing's relationship to the Quan Zhen sect, Ouyang Feng's relationship to the other characters--they assume that you know the LotCH events. An unfortunate problem is that the adaptations do change the novel's storyline to some extent, so watching an earlier series may or may not explain what's missing properly. For example, you will meet a group of people in later in RotCH who were in LotCH, but what they say happened to them will not match with what is in the 1983 LotCH or the 2002 edition of the novel. Still, without any knowledge of LotCH, they would just be a deus ex machina group.

Those whom I have contact with consider the 1983 TVB version of LotCH to be the definitive adaptation (despite the fact that it made some important changes to the plot, mostly fleshing out the Jin dynasty subplot and characters involved), and I agree with this assessment.
Last edited by Terrapin Knight on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
东方永夜抄:
灵梦&紫: E A,B; N A,B; H A
魔理沙&Alice: E A, B
开夜&Remilia: E A,B; N A
妖梦&幽幽子: E A,B; N A; H A

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:55 am

Oh I see... I heard that the writer made some editing to the storyline. And some fans was not very happy about this. I guess this is why... So you mean to fully understand the storyline and characters of ROTCH, one will still have to watch LOTCH?

Terrapin Knight
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Terrapin Knight » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Do I want to go as far as to say that the storyline of RotCH is not fully understandable without LotCH? I can't say that much about the novel, since I didn't read all of it, but the 2006 version of RotCH is quite vague about the story of Yang Guo's father, Yang Kang. Considering that his father's death is one of the main driving force for Yang Guo's actions, the lack of illumination is something that I think would cause confusion without the benefit of LotCH. Is it necessary to read or watch LotCH to gain a sufficient understanding--as opposed to reading a summary? I can't say, but LotCH is an interesting enough series that I wouldn't recommend spoiling yourself in that way.
东方永夜抄:

灵梦&紫: E A,B; N A,B; H A

魔理沙&Alice: E A, B

开夜&Remilia: E A,B; N A

妖梦&幽幽子: E A,B; N A; H A

Effka
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby Effka » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:31 pm

I just started watching it and I'm up to the episode #8 and its been really good so far. I really like the love story between the 2 and it seems like its gonna get really deep the more the episodes continue.

The opening intro is always very nice, amazing song... and when I was watching episode 6 and that damn priest started touching her I was in total shock I wanted to kill that bastard! lol

But yeah so far I like it alot good thing I checked it out ^_^

Also... for some reason it seems like LYF acting is so much better in this, I cant really explain it I mean she did a good job with chinese paladin, but her character in roch seems so real and the drama is perfect there, I like it alot and she is really starting to grow on me more

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:23 pm

hehe, that's good to hear =) Yup, LYF has definitely improved here! I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the series too.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:47 am

Effka wrote:I just started watching it and I'm up to the episode #8 and its been really good so far. I really like the love story between the 2 and it seems like its gonna get really deep the more the episodes continue.

The opening intro is always very nice, amazing song... and when I was watching episode 6 and that damn priest started touching her I was in total shock I wanted to kill that bastard! lol

But yeah so far I like it alot good thing I checked it out ^_^

Also... for some reason it seems like LYF acting is so much better in this, I cant really explain it I mean she did a good job with chinese paladin, but her character in roch seems so real and the drama is perfect there, I like it alot and she is really starting to grow on me more

Haha.. Glad that you enjoyed the series.. :D I go agree that LYF is much better in this show... Hope she will continue improving.. :D By the way. the bastard priest you talking about sacrifised himself to save Xiao Long Nu later in the series (probably due to guilt). So, there are ppl who said, without the priest, Xiao Long Nu would be have been dead...

Return to “Asian Drama and Entertainment”