Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Discussions and topics for all other games belong here!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

VerveFanworks
Hero Wannabe
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Postby VerveFanworks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Hey everyone! I thought your community might take some interest in this:

Back around 2001 a really awesome RPG called "幽城幻劍錄" (part of the wider "Tian Di Jie" series and commonly nicknamed "Castle" in the West) was released in Taiwan, and of course it never received the translation/localization it sorely deserved. Some of you have probably played it more than I have! In any case, a friend and I have been working with a group of source language fans in giving this Chinese-language gem an English translation, albeit in the same unofficial capacity as the Legend of Sword and Fairy translation.

To make a long story shorter, I'll just link to some pics and our video demo:

*Pics

*Video

The script is a little less than 50% translated all files considered, and we're scouting around for more help if anyone's interested. Translators will only have to work with text -- no need to get into technical stuff. The source-language script is in Traditional Chinese; names and terminology are being expressed in English using the pinyin system. There's a Youtube longplay of the game that'll be a real help in getting newcomers to the project familiarized with context and characterization, if they haven't played it before.

If you have any questions (or critique, for that matter!) feel free to post here. Our project forum is here for anyone interested in joining. We're also looking for tips as far as other forums where bilingual Chinese/English-speaking gamers hang out.
Last edited by VerveFanworks on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Re: Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Postby Whistler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Good job :oops: :)

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby God » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 am

Tian Di Jie is an awesome series, and Dynasty is an awesome company. Good job so far. Also has a certain level of difficulty. Keep up the good work.
I need more wuxia in my life.

:P :P :P

Pantamorph
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Drunken Master

Postby Pantamorph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 am

Awesome, too bad that the Xuanyuan Jian series won't receive a fan translation though :(

DivineSwords
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xue Jian

Postby DivineSwords » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Good luck! :D

VerveFanworks
Hero Wannabe

Postby VerveFanworks » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53 am

Pantamorph, is there a really good place to find info about the Xuanyuan Jian series? Any particularly standout episodes I should look into? I'm always interested in learning more about Chinese RPGs, after being so impressed with 幽城幻劍錄.

We'll have some updated preview videos to show off for 幽城幻劍錄 soon; Chapters 5 and 6 are so exciting! Thanks for the feedback!

Pantamorph
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby Pantamorph » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:53 am

VerveFanworks wrote:Pantamorph, is there a really good place to find info about the Xuanyuan Jian series? Any particularly standout episodes I should look into? I'm always interested in learning more about Chinese RPGs, after being so impressed with 幽城幻劍錄.

Sorry for the late reply, as I forgot to pay for my internet :oops:
Wikipedia has some info on the series, though I recommend reading about the series at MobyGames
I can recommend Xuanyuan Jian 3 Waizhuan: Tian zhi Hen and Xuanyuan Jian 2 (Which, although has inferior graphics as it's older than the 3rd part, I prefer to the Waizhuan part, as it reminds me of my all-time favourite Phantasy Star)
If you're interested in translating the second part of the series, I'll gladly help you with correcting rough translations, as I have good knowledge of the English language and I've done some simple game translations before :)

VerveFanworks
Hero Wannabe

Postby VerveFanworks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

No problem, and thanks for the info! Yeah, the MobyGames page was the first English-language result that came up for me. I recognize the third episode from Freeman's videos on Youtube (it's thanks to him I knew about Tian Di Jie in the first place). The second has a really interesting Phantasy Star feel to it, with the over-the-shoulder perspective of the battles. How was the side-story Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao received by the series' fanbase? I'm still trying to find videos of that one in action; the Youtube vids available for that one are so choppy!

More preview videos rolling in for Tian Di Jie! We're still looking for help of course; script's about 70% translated so far. :P

Latest Previews
*Chapter 5, Part 1
*Chapter 5, Part 2
*Chapter 5, Part 3

*Chapter 6, Part 1
*Chapter 6, Part 2
*Chapter 6, Part 3
*Chapter 6, Part 4
*Chapter 6, Part 5
*Chapter 6, Part 6
*Chapter 6, Part 7

Older Previews
*Older previews playlist

Pantamorph
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby Pantamorph » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 am

VerveFanworks wrote:How was the side-story Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao received by the series' fanbase? I'm still trying to find videos of that one in action; the Youtube vids available for that one are so choppy!

More preview videos rolling in for Tian Di Jie! We're still looking for help of course; script's about 70% translated so far. :P

Good Luck to you with your efforts! :)
As for more Chinese games, google for Tun Town by SoftStar, that game is gonna leave you laughing out loud! 8)

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:32 pm

> How was the side-story Xuanyuan Jian Waizhuan: Cang zhi Tao

I PERSONALLY don't like this one, too much 'theories' and the enemies have nothing but high HP which take too much time and require no strategy to defeat, which is just plain boring for me :P

Return to “Gaming”