Final Fantasy fans?

Discussions and topics for all other games belong here!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Do you like FF?

yes
92%
no
No votes
never played it
8%

Total votes: 12

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Final Fantasy fans?

Postby Whistler » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 am

I only liked earlier version of FFs, as later versions are too large and mostly 3D :D

screenshots:
Final Fantasy 1

Final Fantasy 4

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 4 (a later remade version)
Last edited by Whistler on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryshi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby ryshi » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:54 am

Yes I love it.

I am currently playing mystic quest and I have played 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 (though I haven't beaten it yet, but maybe in the future)

I have only beaten 7.

Which FFs have you beat?

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:30 am

well I played all of the earlier versions (before 7), but only finished the normal game of FF4 (not the hidden level after beating the final boss though, as I got stuck at the Lunar Odin, which keeped killing everyone in one move and I don't know how to beat him) :( FF4 appears to be _much_ harder than PAL (except the mazes of course) :D

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 am

FF7 - while it's much more eye-candy than previous versions, the 3D perspective just looked somewhat confusing (especially in battle) which was what I didn't like :(

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 pm

I love FF8, my personal favourite!!! But overall, FF is just plain awesome... plus the graphics are getting crazier and crazier!! (even though it's about story and game play as well)- but *bows down to Square-Enix*
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:26 pm

I just tried the remade version of FF4 which was released last year. It of course seemed more eye-candy :) However my Japanese is very bad and there isn't an English version (update: from here, the English version will be released in July 22), so I only tried the beginning part :(

Rosa (the female protagonist of FF4) in this version kinda looked like Fox Demon in PAL2, which just looked too "sexy" and less cute than the 2D version (Image) :(

It seemed the battle is even more harder than the original game, as in the original game the monsters in the beginning part of the game will not even attack before they are cleared - but not in the remade version (not sure about the later parts, though).
Last edited by Whistler on Thu May 01, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryshi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby ryshi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:51 am

Where did you get this? is it for a new platform?
Whistler will save the day.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:06 pm

The remade is for Nintendo DS. And there are rumors that the English version will be released in US later this year.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 am

Just finished FF7... I have to say I didn't totally enjoy this version, as the difficulty has been _seriously_ dumbed down compared to older versions, and it's actually even possible to get the final boss in only one turn (which is just CRAZY!). Another reason is I still prefer the mid-century european style of the earlier versions to the "modernized" style of the later versions.

However there is still something quite impressive in the story - especially Aeris, who was kinda similar as Ling'er as the tragic role but (IMO) of a much preferable personality :P Although I'm still actually totally confused by the later part of the story :(

ryshi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby ryshi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:40 am

I just finished FF4 (about a month ago) and the story was pretty good. I played the original version, and it was quite exciting because just as I thought it was finished another adventure appears (the other two worlds). There's also an additional dungeon after beating the last boss which is quite nice, as it develops the characters even more.

I also like how the story flows with minimal party choices, my only complain is when I want to switch party members, I have to go back to that town. Do you know any other way to switch characters? Is it possible to do it at a savepoint or on the main ship?

And I prefer rydia's pixel form looks better than the ds hehe

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't think that's possible without cheating :(

Kenshin
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Kenshin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:11 am

Yeah I love FF. Its the only RPG series I play. So far I own and completed FF8 (I even have 2 copies. Don't know why :D), FF9, FF10, FF10-2, and I finished FF7 but don't have it. I also have FF12 which I'm currently playing.

And the newer ones coming out look amazing. I'm considering buying a PS3 just to play FF13 and FF Versus 13.

ryshi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby ryshi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:28 am

Haha it's nice you have 2 copies of ff8. I played my ff8 till the 3rd disc and then I decided to restart because I screwed up my card system and gf compatibilities. I erased the data and realized I lost my 1st disc TT so I'm stuck with disk 2-4 and can't play the game again.. so sad

How is ff12? I am playing that too and the world takes a long time to get from one place to another imo, and the skill chart is really big

Kenshin
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Kenshin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:01 am

The funny thing is, disc one on one copy is scratched beyond belief while disc four on the second copy is scratched too. Quite amusing. And I hated the card game. That was one reason why I never bothered to fight Omega Weapon because I didn't want to get the cards to refine them into the items that make you invincible. That and I never had Rinoa learn her Limit Break which also made the party invincible.

I am currently screwed in 12 right now. I think I leveled up wrong since everyone is getting killed. Not to mention the fact I gave everyone a sword to use since it had an attack of about 59 (I just got the game a few days ago so starting in the beginning with a high attack seemed like a good idea). I think I'm just gonna restart.

As for the licenses, it was confusing at first but it is really easy after you learn it. The sphere grid from FF-X is what I consider large. I've had the game for years now and I'm still nowhere near covering it with each character.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:26 am

well I didn't played that card game either, and I also didn't used the limit breaks in FF8 very often :)

IMO FF8 is still quite easy, the final boss has nothing but tons of HP which took about an hour to beat without those "crazy" skills, but no power at all - however there are still some challenging parts and the gameplay is also a little less crazy than FF7 :) story wise, the development of characters didn't seem quite impressive but the romance part seemed perfect :) however the ending cutscene seemed extremely weird and had no clue until the 4th-5th minute - I also didn't understand what happened right after beating the final boss, is it something like an infinite loop...?

as for 10 or later, well I just didn't have a PlayStation 2 to play it, and emulators won't work well on my old computer either :(

Return to “Gaming”