Which Ling Er do you like?

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

95/Dos or XP [Ling Er]

DOS/95 Version Ling Er
54%
XP Version Ling Er
46%

Total votes: 26

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Which Ling Er do you like?

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:25 pm

I played Xian Jian DOS version, and I thought Ling Er looked a lot cuter than the XP version which is suppose to have better graphics etc..

Which one do you like more?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

blueppearl
Hero Wannabe

Postby blueppearl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 pm

95/98 version no doubt. this linger in new version dont even look like 16 lol. and for the dungeon set up the old one still better. for me i rather watch them use the old graphic engine and expand the story

Larloch
Hero Wannabe

Postby Larloch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:20 am

The 95/98 version. Her 梦蛇 dream snake transformation is immediately usable upon acquiring her in the 锁妖塔 Demon Sealing Tower, thus doubling her attack power for that segment of the game, which I found particularly useful for the gold dragon and the seal god. In the XP version, she is already in her snake form, which I guess would logically make the transformation not usable, but she doesn't have the attack boost in this permanent form, which makes her a lot weaker than Yueru. Her dream snake transformation is a lot more powerful in the 95/98 version, since it's compatible with her dual sword, which saves quite a bit of MP for Xiaoyao, particularly going through the underground maze. The XP version uses one attack regardless of weapon, which makes her 双龙剑 latest dual sword useless. Fortunately, I bought 玉女剑 that female sword in the capital.

I also didn't like the changes she underwent after inheriting her mother's items in the XP version. In the 95/98 version, the change is just cosmetic as far as I can tell, possibly with the additional ability to equip her mother's items. In the XP version, her defense and agility ratings both went down drastically, which made her strike slower than quite a few of the enemies in the maze. She lost the ability to equip swords, being only limited to the 青蛇仗 azure snake staff as her weapon. This made her hit a lot harder, but until you cast 醉仙梦月步 the double strike buff, it just made her the equal of the dual wield 95/98 version.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:49 pm

wow, I didn't notice.. I thought Ling Er was just more powerful after gaining her mother's items..hmm..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Larloch
Hero Wannabe

Postby Larloch » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Well, the items are more powerful than what she's usually equipped with. I don't have a save before the sprite change in the 95 version, so I can't check, but here are some stat comparisons:

Version: lvl, hp, mp, atk, matk, def, agi, luk
95, post transformation (with new items): 40, 768, 716, 366, 658, 375, 239, 141
95, post transformation (with old items): 40, 768, 716, 336, 438, 305, 248, 105
XP, post transformation (with new items): 47, 818, 659, 1641, 540, 239, 63, 111
XP, pre transformation (with old items): 44, 779, 631, 288, 308, 301, 205, 417

Since I don't have a save before her transformation in the 95 version, I can't tell whether the statistical superiority of the 95 version compared to the pre-transformation XP version is due to the change or simply that she was better in the old version. The mechanics of the two games also differ enough such that these stats may just be cosmetic. What is certain, however, is that the post-transformation Linger in the XP version has really awful agi stat while having a really high offensive stat.

[Edit] I should probably say something about characterization before I get stoned out of the forums.

The basic plot is the same for both versions, as is most of the dialog, particularly with Linger, who is not on screen a lot of the time. There is, however, a difference in the two versions in the Demon Sealing Tower. In the 95 version, the poem she recites ends with the line "错把牛郎当情郎," which literally translates into "I mistook a cowherd for a lover," but I think an idiomatic translation is more appropriate: "I mistook a boor for my soul mate." I don't remember the particular word in the XP version, but I believe the last line loosely translates into "everything is over."

The difference in the poem illustrates a difference in the two versions. The words of the 95 Linger pings the blame on Xiaoyao. She accuses him of being a lowlife, most likely out of the belief that he abandoned her by will, since she didn't know that he lost his memory of their first meeting on the island. The XP Linger is saddened and hurt by Xiaoyao's behavior, but she does not blame anyone. Both, perhaps, can be motivated by either a small hope that she can bring Xiaoyao around, but the XP Linger's words are much less confrontational compared to those of the 95 Linger. The XP Linger's behavior fits much more with A Nu's conception of Nu Wa: "Nu Wa is the earth mother, the most compassionate towards humanity. It does not matter that you do not know the ceremonial form; you need only be sincere. She is never angry." The XP Linger is consistently gentle--more fitting with that which she was taught on the island and what she was later to become--, whereas the 95 Linger exhibited a moment of venom. It is for this that I prefer the XP version, however small the difference is.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 pm

The basic plot is the same for both versions, as is most of the dialog, particularly with Linger, who is not on screen a lot of the time. There is, however, a difference in the two versions in the Demon Sealing Tower. In the 95 version, the poem she recites ends with the line "错把牛郎当情郎," which literally translates into "I mistook a cowherd for a lover," but I think an idiomatic translation is more appropriate: "I mistook a boor for my soul mate." I don't remember the particular word in the XP version, but I believe the last line loosely translates into "everything is over."

The difference in the poem illustrates a difference in the two versions. The words of the 95 Linger pings the blame on Xiaoyao. She accuses him of being a lowlife, most likely out of the belief that he abandoned her by will, since she didn't know that he lost his memory of their first meeting on the island. The XP Linger is saddened and hurt by Xiaoyao's behavior, but she does not blame anyone. Both, perhaps, can be motivated by either a small hope that she can bring Xiaoyao around, but the XP Linger's words are much less confrontational compared to those of the 95 Linger. The XP Linger's behavior fits much more with A Nu's conception of Nu Wa: "Nu Wa is the earth mother, the most compassionate towards humanity. It does not matter that you do not know the ceremonial form; you need only be sincere. She is never angry." The XP Linger is consistently gentle--more fitting with that which she was taught on the island and what she was later to become--, whereas the 95 Linger exhibited a moment of venom. It is for this that I prefer the XP version, however small the difference is.

Oh wow...thanks for that..it was really interesting to read since I didn't pick that up...

I feel really bad for Ling Er's character being chained up there =(
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Fri May 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Are you talking about the character Sprite or the portrait in conversation?
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

Teru-teruMomiji
Hero Wannabe

Postby Teru-teruMomiji » Fri May 18, 2007 6:08 pm

I'll take it to mean the character potrait...

Personally, I don't find any of the beautiful girls' portraitsin the XP version to be stunning like they should be.
Though I don't really understand it; like Chibi Jennifer said, the XP version should have better graphics and hence be capable of showing more detail in the characters' portraits, but instead it shows less! :?

I like all the DOS/95 versions' girls' pictures much better! Especially Ling'er's, Linger's mother's, and the White Miao leader's. Why do they make them look so much worse in the newer version?? >_< The White Miao Leader in XP is not pretty at all, but in the older version she has feathers in her headdress and has a feminine-looking face (and is really beautiful). The XP Linger's mum has a MUCH simpler outfit than the DOS one.

Sorry for rambling on so much but yeah, I really don't understand why they made such concessions...

EDIT: Oh look, I even made some comparison pics ealier... (Can anyone lead me to some better shots of the DOS characters? I took these with a camera...=_=)

Look... they even changed the shape designs of the outfits so that they are less creative and aesthetic...

Image Image

~Knowledge speaks
Wisdom listens~

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

oh wow, thanks for those comparison pics Teru-teruMomiji ^^

From what i can see.. their faces were all a lot pointier in the DOS version, and made slightly more chubby in XP.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Teru-teruMomiji
Hero Wannabe

Postby Teru-teruMomiji » Fri May 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Haha, that was the first thing I noticed too; Linger's face went from the pointiest to the chubbiest :P

edit: Ok Yueru's face is the pointiest but I meant that Linger's face goes from a wider forehead to a pointy chin more sharply.
~Knowledge speaks

Wisdom listens~

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xing Xuan

Re: Which Ling Er do you like?

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I chose the portraits of XP over the DOS and 98 ones... XP portraits pop out more... Their faces in DOS/98 were just waay too dark... Not that I have anything against Southeast Asians XD Just my personal preference =P
How I want to hold you in my arms again……

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”