Playing Xian Jian Pal1 95 in windows 7

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

nmaei
Hero Wannabe

Playing Xian Jian Pal1 95 in windows 7

Postby nmaei » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:54 am

For anyone who has problems with running this game in Windows 7 like I did (text was weird, graphics were glitchy, etc) even after installing applocal, I found an extremely simple solution after searching for hours on the net.

1. Create an empty textfile in the same directory as PAL.exe
2. paste

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
PAL.exe
pause
start explorer.exe

3. save out as a ".bat" file
4. run the .bat file and play!

This also works with any old 16 bit games out there! (starcraft, diablo, etc) just by changing what the .exe is.

for convenience sake, i've also uploaded my copy below if you don't want to go through all that. Just extract it to the same fodler as your PAL.exe, then run the .bat file to play.

Hope it helps

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1BUSR0YL

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Re: Playing Xian Jian Pal1 95 in windows 7

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks so much for sharing this :) Very much appreciated! :)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Um, explorer.exe is the Windows Explorer, which is the basic interface of the entire Windows operating system. Your code is basically destroying it and restarting it again after playing PAL... I consider that an unsafe thing to do for your computer.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:20 pm

simpler solution - just download SDLPAL:
http://sdlpal.codeplex.com/releases/619 ... oad/213114

copy the sdlpal95.exe to the game directory and run. no need to use applocale or whatever :)

nmaei
Hero Wannabe

Postby nmaei » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:03 am

Rich wrote:Um, explorer.exe is the Windows Explorer, which is the basic interface of the entire Windows operating system. Your code is basically destroying it and restarting it again after playing PAL... I consider that an unsafe thing to do for your computer.

That is true. It could be a bit risky, so that's a valid thing to point out, but it's not as vital to the running of windows as it may seem, and can usually be stopped without any harmful sideeffects. Though if you want to be safe, I would recommended that you aren't running other programs or operations. But if you end up losing the interface, you can run task manger (ctrl+shift+esc), start a new task, and type in explorer.exe, and start it up again.

Whistler wrote:simpler solution - just download SDLPAL:
http://sdlpal.codeplex.com/releases/619 ... oad/213114

copy the sdlpal95.exe to the game directory and run. no need to use applocale or whatever :)

I ran across sdlpal too, but was a bit iffy about it so I didn't try it (and I didn't really see any mention of it when i skimmed this forum). Also, I was reading their svn logs and it seemed like they used the word.asc and word.fon files, which weren't included in the version that 709zzy posted here , so it probably won't work for people who downloaded from that post. I used my solution because I knew what was executing, but if sdlpal works for you then I don't see why not.

Pantamorph
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Drunken Master

Postby Pantamorph » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Dude, Whistler is the developer of SDLPal, so don't hesitate to contact him for help or submit a bug to him :)
Btw, I used the same way to play Ys when I had Windows 7 installed :)

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”