Let's Play of PAL XP Version (COMPLETED)

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Lin Yue Ru

Let's Play of PAL XP Version (COMPLETED)

Postby Valius » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:41 pm

This playthrough is NOW over! It was a joy to play through this classic game, and now I know why it's held in such regard! Old videos of the playthroughs can be found on my Twitch channel http://twitch.tv/valiuspiu. Archives of the streams can be found in the playlist on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpDu64OIf_PgrNm2N__pC8HrhSucLhBzb

I will play other games on the stream, and I'm going to do the second game very soon.

I now have a Facebook page to update people with! https://www.facebook.com/ValiusPlaysGamesOnStream

Old post:
Hi everyone,

I recently started a series where I play PAL XP edition entirely live on stream. I'm playing the original game without prior knowledge of the plot and without referring to any guides whatsoever, so I make lots of mistakes and probably missed a lot of stuff. I also translate the dialogue as I read it, so that non-Chinese speakers can follow along with the story as I play, so they too can enjoy the game at least somewhat. It's not always an exhaustive translation, but I think I get the main points across. My Chinese skill is still not better than a teenager's with some knowledge gained from watching period dramas. :p

My livestreams are always on my Twitch channel http://twitch.tv/valiuspiu. I stream around 12 AM (0:00) US Pacific time on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Archives of the streams can be found in the playlist on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpDu64OIf_PgrNm2N__pC8HrhSucLhBzb
I separated the stream in 15 min chunks and labeled them with a description of what happened in that part. :)

If anyone knows Chinese, please feel free to correct or comment on the stream or the YT videos. I would love to keep improving my translation skill, and I want to represent the game as accurately as possible. The game's story is engrossing so far, and I'm enjoying it a lot!

My future plan is to play later games in the series after finishing the playthrough of the XP edition and to translate those as I play them!
Last edited by Valius on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Re: Let's Play of PAL XP Version

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 am

Hi and welcome to the forums! Great to see another Chinese Paladin fan! :) I'm sure many others would find your videos useful too!

Checked out some of your vids, great job
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks for the compliments! :) I'm learning how to translate better as I go, so hopefully things will go better as I learn. Going to take on the General in the burial mound near the Heishui Zhen tonight. :)

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:00 am

Valius wrote:Thanks for the compliments! :) I'm learning how to translate better as I go, so hopefully things will go better as I learn. Going to take on the General in the burial mound near the Heishui Zhen tonight. :)

Good job! Love your commentaries. :P

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks! I appreciate it, especially from someone interested in getting this particular game into English. :) Translating the game at the same time is making the play time on stream much longer compared to the previous game I played, but I think this talk-and-play project is totally worth it.

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xing Xuan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:05 am

The videos aren't bad. I'm really enjoying them. Your friend on the chat is funny XD
How I want to hold you in my arms again……

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for watching! I noticed you're having fun pointing out all the mistakes I made along the way. :p But seriously, I'm glad someone is willing to go through and point out the mistakes, so that I give a better translation as we get further and further into the game. At the rate I'm going, you will probably be completely done with the game BEFORE I finish. :p My playing speed on stream is probably at half the actual speed I could play the game if I didn't have to read out and translate every line.

By the way, are you talking about ZioCorvid, by chance?

Incidentally, ZioCorvid is asking if you are also in a forum called Magistream?

Finally, some of the videos are still only on my Twitch account, I'm working on getting them summarized to be placed on YT... I think YT is behind by 60 parts due to the World Cup and my own lack of time, haha.

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Hehe, yes~ I am indeed having fun pointing out mistakes. It's soo hard not to do that... >_> Sorry if it bothers you in any way.

And yes, I was indeed talking about ZioCorvid. Does ZioCorvid have a Magistream account as well?

Oh no, you are WAY ahead of me. I checked out your channel and I think that you are at that part where Liú Jìn Yuán got ill from a strange disease? (I watched the TV series so I know about the main story.) I'm just about to get the six requirements in White River Village for Ling Er's miscarriage prevention. I've taken quite a few months to play this game and I've only just got to the village XD That's because I developed a learning disability about six years ago which makes it REALLY difficult to read, and of course you can see the big problem with that, because the Xian Jian games are based mostly on story and dialogue. Since I can't read well, it takes me forever to get through the dialogues. I also have a habit of talking to every single NPC I can find, which only prolongs my progress in the game XD
I actually took over a year to finish Xian Jian Four. While playing Xin Xian Jian, I'm also playing Xian Jian Five at the same time. It's already almost a year since I started playing the fifth game...

But...I love Xian Jian way too much to give up on playing it. That's why I still force myself to endure the headaches and frustrations that my disability causes me during when I play these games.

I'm really amazed by you. You are the only person I know who plays Xian Jian and yet knows English so that you can make videos of your playthrough so that Western people can also understand the beauty of Chinese games~ I really love the feeling and meaning of that. =)

I wish I can watch you on Twitch and be able to chat with you guys, but I don't want any spoilers, so unfortunately, I won't be doing that. =(
Last edited by ~IllusionQueen~ on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Please continue to point out mistakes. Some parts in the early game make more sense now that you pointed out some stuff I didn't pick up on the first time I played. :) It's also good for me to know about words I translated poorly since it'll mean I'll translate it right the next time I encounter it. :)

ZioCorvid's account on Magistream is Oathkeeper so you can say hi to her. :)

To be honest, my YT channel is actually behind since I haven't uploaded all the highlights from Twitch over to YT yet. I don't upload to YT until I've summarized and labeled each part with a title, so it takes more time, haha. In Twitch, I'm in a dungeon you can reach from the village of Da Li, so that should give you a rough idea where I am now. :) So yes, tuning in now will give you spoilers for when you're at level 33-34 in the game.

Also, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad people appreciate the effort to promote awesome Chinese games like the ones we enjoy on this site to a wider audience. :) It makes me want to continue improving my translation ability, and the game being enjoyable for the most part is certainly extra motivation. I'm also really impressed on your ability to translate some stuff and for the extra information I didn't know about, particularly with Chinese lore, which I don't know as much about. :o

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:39 am

Ohh, Oathkeeper! I've talked to her before, but she was pretty busy... I'll message her again =)

A dungeon in Da Li... Hmm, I don't remember that. I guess it wasn't included in the series adaptation. Oh well, I'll get there eventually. =)

Oh, I know quite a bit about Chinese folklore because I love watching ancient Chinese series based on folktales. I love the story of Return of the Condor Heroes by Jin Yong and lots of stuff like that, and that's where I got my knowledge from. My elder brother watched much more series than I did, so I can always ask him as well. =)

Also, a Po Sa is a Bodhisattva, and Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy, is one of the Bodhisattvas. She's known to be really kind-hearted to humans and she sometimes helps them out. That's why people always speak good of her.

In case you're interested, here's my thread that I'm working on.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2802

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Ah, I see. I was turned off by how lackluster some of the 武侠 series I saw ended up turning out, so I mostly focused on more "realistic" dramas like 大宋提刑官, 宋莲生坐堂, 闯关东, etc. which don't have a huge focus on folklore and mythology. This story though is impressing me at every turn, and I've been caught off guard multiple times during the story, so it's great that I can't predict everything that will happen. :p I've actually seen a little of the TV series so I knew a few of the developments ahead of time, but most of the story is a closed book to me right now (and I want to keep it that way).

Also, I've seen the thread, and it's cool to see all the supplementary info for stuff I saw in the game but didn't completely understand. :)

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 am

Oh I see.

When you finish Xin Xian Jian, maybe you'll decide to play the other games in the series as well? I will love to tune in to Twitch if you decide to play the other ones X3

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:50 am

looks cool :oops: :roll:

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Valius » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:11 pm

~IllusionQueen~ wrote:Oh I see.

When you finish Xin Xian Jian, maybe you'll decide to play the other games in the series as well? I will love to tune in to Twitch if you decide to play the other ones X3

Yes, I plan to play Xian Jian 2 sometime after Xin Xian Jian is finished. I've already set up Soul Blazer (Super Nintendo game) as the next game, but it's most likely going to be either before Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, during, or after, I'm still deciding. :p However, if the newer games can maintain the story quality somewhat, then this will be one of the most memorable video game series I've ever played. :D

Whistler, thank you for your support! :D

I passed through a very important part of the story, and, wow, the game continues to just keep coming with those "A-ha! NOW I SEE WHY THAT HAPPENED" moments, especially involving the arc that takes place in the past (I won't say when or where this happens to avoid spoilers). The game just keeps on giving, it's no wonder the story is revered among the Chinese players!

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:49 pm

However, if the newer games can maintain the story quality somewhat, then this will be one of the most memorable video game series I've ever played. :D

Well then I sure hope the sequels won't disappoint you!! =D

I passed through a very important part of the story, and, wow, the game continues to just keep coming with those "A-ha! NOW I SEE WHY THAT HAPPENED" moments, especially involving the arc that takes place in the past (I won't say when or where this happens to avoid spoilers). The game just keeps on giving, it's no wonder the story is revered among the Chinese players!

Yeah I absolutely love the drama in the game!! It's so awesome how many things come clear as you progress through the story line X3

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”