So I've just finished playing through PAL98 (In English!)

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

So I've just finished playing through PAL98 (In English!)

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:23 pm

For those unaware, the game has been fan translated into English, so do check it out! (More info here: http://chinesepaladin.org/download-play ... in-english)

What can I say... I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks again to the translators who worked tirelessly to make this game accessible to the English audience! I haven't played this game for many years, and it still gave me a very similar feeling to when I played it younger :D LOVEEEE.

I still think the climax of the story is when Xiaoyao gets his memory back at the Demon Locking Tower...it was all so intense... and it felt so good to have Xiao Yao, Yueru and Ling'er finally together again... too bad the reunion is short lived. AHHHHHHH. I literally cried when Xiaoyao found out Yueru died. :cry: :cry: :cry: By far the saddest scene from the entire game. The story doesn't feel quite the same after she's gone :( (She left big shoes to fill, and I don't think Ah Nu did that at all....) I dunno, the last part of the game (with all the Miao tribe stuff) was missing some... excitement? I dunno if that's the word... but I wish there was more romance and moments between Xiao Yao and Ling'er. Xiao Yao and Yueru shared some amazing chemistry, and although I'm a Ling'er x Xiao Yao shipper, I admit their interaction was really fun to watch. Also lots of romantic gestures and confessions. AH. But I guess the end arc is all serious business and about getting rid of the evil Bai Yue....

The ending was what I remembered it to be, but I thought the drama ending was a lot more sad and had more impact. The ending clip was a bit short/quick and felt a little abrupt.. though Yueru at the end always makes up for it... It is sad..but I think some dialogue would've been nice. Its slightly awkward that the last thing Xiaoyao says in the game is "We have to thank Ah Nu" and "What's happening?"

Here are some of my thoughts on the game play:

Issues with the game:

-It's not always obvious what you're supposed to do at a certain point of the game. I've played this game plenty of times as a kid, but I still forgot some of the minor details. I end up spending over an hour walking around town, talking to everyone and still not sure how to proceed to the next part. For example in the Butterfly Arc, you're supposed to talk to some beggar on the street and give him half your money. I guess it was my fault, because after he told me the secret, I loaded the game (and wanted my money back...lol) before I realised he tells you more afterwards. Well... I thought it was optional! How silly of me XP I wasted so much time.

- Another part that's also not clear is when you're supposed to bring the Elemental Pearls to Alter to cast rain. I totally missed the part where I was supposed to put the Nuwa Pearl into a wall slot before it activates.... I spent sooooo much time running around Da Li totally lost. XD I knew I was supposed to go to the Alter, but I didn't know what to do there ^^" Sigh.

- I found that the mazes can be quite tedious! XDDD (And yes, I'm aware PAL98 mazes are already a lot easier than PAL95 which is what I played as a kid) Mazes aren't too difficult, but the shear number of monsters you have to fight can sometimes feel like a grind (especially the end part when you're in the Palace- holy moly I tried to run from every enemy XD)

-I don't like that you can't go back to things. I missed out on entering that Blossom Forest (which was originally covered with fog), and by the time I remembered about it, it was too late, and I can't exit town to get there : ( I was a bit disappointed about that (Can someone refresh my memory on whats in there?). I also wanted to buy more 'level up worms' but the same problem occurred there. After Ling'er is healed, the war between the Black and White Miao tribes already start and from there there's no going back- you can no longer buy or sell anything. What a shame... (Though the game really isn't that hard so you don't have to level too much) THANK GOODNESS I GOT THE GOD SPELLS!! XDDD Please guys, if you play the game- look harder in the caves, and don't miss out on all the elemental god spells you learn :D

Despite my complaints I still thoroughly loved the game. It's still my favourite game of all time :D
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

EpiKz
Hero Wannabe

Re: So I've just finished playing through PAL98 (In English!)

Postby EpiKz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 pm

wow just looking through my old bookmarks and and found this site forum again. it's been 10 years in the making (for the translation) glad I found it ready to replay it again!

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Welcome back!! :D Hope you like the replay!!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm

cool :oops: :oops: :oops:

just a correction:
For enhanced game performance, and to remove lots of limitations, please download: SDLPal International Fork from https://github.com/CecilHarvey/sdlpal

this is my original version (without the 'international' features). the 'international fork' is at: http://github.com/louyihua/sdlpal
:roll: :roll: :roll:
still though it might be better to include the binary with the translation, as it would be an overkill to download something huge like Visual Studio just for this :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am

Are the maze skippable?
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:50 pm

You can't really skip the mazes, but you can sort of "run" away from every battle XD There is also some optional mazes, but its really worth going through it to get all the treasures :3
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

ClassicGear
Hero Wannabe
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Lin Yueru

Postby ClassicGear » Sat May 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Chibi Jennifer wrote:For those unaware, the game has been fan translated into English, so do check it out! (More info here: http://chinesepaladin.org/download-play ... in-english)

You forgot something :-) See #18 of http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... din.99662/

Unofficial EXE Direct Download provided as it is with no support.
(Courtesy from PalMusicFan, link will be removed once there's an official release in GitHub)
Checksums (close)
sdlpal_int_r179.exe
SHA-1: 0db9a090bf9bed5dd2f039e0b33526ad3349e4aa
MD5: cea9a1c491765f0ded1100f64b889e03
CRC32: 5f9c966b

SDL2.dll
SHA-1: fb8b1ba166913c18eb00f8ca53439d0f4ee54359
MD5: ae58662a16410481b477b78b8d47460b
CRC32: 92a52cc1

This is an unofficial EXE of SDLPal International (and a DLL file needed). You need SDLPal International to run PAL Eng v3.1. The Orignal PAL.EXE is not good enough for this version.

If you have the file of MUS.MKF from the DOS version, please put it in the game folder, then run the game with SDLPal International and you can enjoy the enhanced music performance :-)

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”