Pal/Xian Jian English translation 100%

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

709zzy
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Pal/Xian Jian English translation 100%

Postby 709zzy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Hello everybody, I am a big fan of Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan and I am willing to help out with the Chinese to English translation of the game. I do not have any knowledge of programming so all I can do is text translation. If anyone is interested in my help or if anyone knows a group who is currently looking for translation help, please let me know. You can contact me through my email: 709zzy@gmail.com

Thank you all for your time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
I have started translating. The game and the language packs can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=916
Last edited by 709zzy on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liyufei
Hero Wannabe

Re: Pal/Xian Jian English translation 100%

Postby liyufei » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:36 pm

I know the QQ number of the previous XIN XIANJIAN translator.
It's 2121217. But he may not use this QQ any more or at least he dont join anyone as friend, so...
All I know is that.
But you can do your text work as well. There must be someone like your work and do the translate in program.

chamine
Hero Wannabe

Postby chamine » Sun May 03, 2009 5:40 am

709zzy
Seems it's possible for me to make a small program for translate dialogs for win98 version. But only for that version. I haven't winXP version and for DOS version it seems will be quite hard to implement.

PS: Ok, I've made a simple program for changing dialogs in win98 (simplified chinese). But some problems will prevent you from doing a good translation - dialogs there are collection of strings (not sentences) - one line - one string. Number of lines that makes a sentence I still can't change. So - translation of sentence will be limited with exact number of lines that it was in original chinese version. And cause to english sentences takes more letters than chinese - translation must be shortened to some basic words (or else it can't fit itself on screen).

pal1eng.jpg
pal1eng.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 12375 times

Here I attached this software. To use - unpack it into PAL's directory. First - better backup two files there: sss.mkf and m.msg. Then run this software (.NET must be installed), press 'Read' - then you will get all string lines from game. Double click allow to change them. After modifications - press 'Save' - program will try to create new sss_new.mkf and m_new.msg which can be renamed respectively to sss.mkf and m.msg and used with game.
Attachments
PalDialogs.zip
Simple tool for modify PAL's sss.mkf and m.msg files
(16.86 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm

good job :)

guess it's possible to add the lines of the dialog texts by changing the scripts of the game (sss.mkf #4), but that will require too much work and due to the size limitation some of the unnecessary stuff has to be removed. Also, there are 10-byte limitation for words of the game (word.dat) which is still too short for English names of items/players/magics/etc.
Last edited by Whistler on Sun May 03, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Sun May 03, 2009 9:38 pm

btw, I have also added support for English characters in SDLPAL (link), which is a free software/open-source reimplementation of the DOS version of PAL. Maybe you can try this out :)

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Rich » Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm

chamine wrote:
pal1eng.jpg

Here I attached this software. To use - unpack it into PAL's directory. First - better backup two files there: sss.mkf and m.msg. Then run this software (.NET must be installed), press 'Read' - then you will get all string lines from game. Double click allow to change them. After modifications - press 'Save' - program will try to create new sss_new.mkf and m_new.msg which can be renamed respectively to sss.mkf and m.msg and used with game.

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."
And I have .NET framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 all installed.

This is why I don't like .NET...

chamine
Hero Wannabe

Postby chamine » Fri May 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Rich
Can you check this one? (damn M$ VC :? )
Attachments
PalDialogs.zip
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

709zzy
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby 709zzy » Sat May 09, 2009 1:23 pm

The program is good but it seems to skip certain dialogues such as the one Xiao Yao has with his aunt about his father in the beginning of the game. Is it because the version of Pal I used is not fully compatible?

----------------------------------------------
*edit*

I found the missing dialogue, they were hidden in the bottom. I am beginning the translation of the dialogues and even though I have Pal 95, the program still works with it. Is there someway to translate the menus?

709zzy
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby 709zzy » Sat May 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Here are some small samples of what I did so far:

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Sat May 09, 2009 8:08 pm

^ all the menu texts, character names, item names & magic names are in a file named "word.dat". Just open it with a hexeditor (such as UltraEdit or MadEdit) and edit anything you want.

note that each word MUST be exactly 10 bytes (space out the rest if shorter) which is definately NOT enough for English translation.

709zzy
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby 709zzy » Sun May 10, 2009 6:18 am

You are right. I tried to edit word.dat and it was a mess. However I think translating the description of the items/spells is good enough for now. The menus can be memorized since there are not too many of them.

Reading the descriptions should be enough to know what the names of the items/spells meant.

Example:

Last edited by 709zzy on Sun May 10, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun May 10, 2009 8:48 am

Oh this is pretty cool :D
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

709zzy
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby 709zzy » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Now the dialogues and the descriptions of the items/spells are no problems any more. However can you guys tell me exactly how I can edit the word.dat in order to translate the menu? I used Madedit but I don't know how many letters is 10 byte. Whenever I tried to change the chinese characters into english they are messed up in orders inside the game.

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran

Postby Whistler » Sun May 10, 2009 3:50 pm

for English letters 1 byte=1 letter.
Or to put it simple, just don't exceed the beginning of the next word and don't move the position of any words.

Just edit the words in hex mode (press Alt+3) in the right column, like this:

chamine
Hero Wannabe

Postby chamine » Sat May 16, 2009 4:08 am

709zzy
Whoa! Thanks for trying to translate this huge amount of text (enough for a book i think). :D If will be tired - don't forget to upload somewhere for someone to continue. (Story is really huge :shock: )

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”