Xian Jian marathon - complete! (Kind of)

Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan sequels (and prequel) for PAL. Check this out for information, news, pictures and share your opinions!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

kimimi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Xian Jian marathon - complete! (Kind of)

Postby kimimi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 pm

When I first heard of XJ5 being released this year I decided it was time to finally dive in and play through the series so I'd be up to speed. After finishing XJ4 about an hour ago I've got to say it was well worth doing and anyone else who is able to do the same but hasn't really should get off their bums and get on with it ^^~

I found I enjoyed XJ2 and XJ4 the most; I thought they had a good plot tied to an enjoyable game. The mazes in XJ1 made it a chore to play, when I got to a story scene I felt more relieved than excited. I really loved the characters in XJ3 (probably the most), but the completely rubbish maps (orange blobs on blue for *everything* with absolutely no markers) made it waaaaayyyy harder to play than it should have been and I must admit I gave up on it about a third of the way in. I'll get back to it one day, but not today ;)

I'd love to hear everyone elses thought on the series as a whole and how it's changed over the years - I thought they'd done a good job of keeping the same sort of themes/style going through the series without having it bogged down by the past.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Re: Xian Jian marathon - complete! (Kind of)

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts kimmi! Sadly, I've only played PAL1, and know the story of PAL3 from the drama (and read bits about the original game). this is going to sound a bit strange, but I hope they make dramas from XJ4 and 5 as well! I really loved the dramas, and although most fans of the games dislike them, it makes them much more accessible to me than to play the games (since my Chinese isn't fantastic).
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:16 pm

A lot of time you spent there Kimimi 8)

PAL2 is a big improvement over PAL1 in terms of how mazes are done, yet when PAL3 comes out the complicated mazes are back, until PAL4 scales them down again. Wonder how PAL5 will handle mazes.

kimimi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby kimimi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:51 pm

I used plenty of walkthroughs so I was always prepared ;)

Glad it wasn't just me that found the mazes in 1 and 3 a bit too much, I can only hope they build upon XJ4 and make the dungeons sensible again. Have you played the sequel to XJ3 Rich? I was leaving it until I managed to get through XJ3, but if it's any better I might skip the rest of 3 and just go through that instead.

Jennifer - People dislike the dramas? I've seen most of 3 and a few bits of 1, I thought they were quite good. I know they aren't totally accurate to the games, but if they were the cast would spend most of their time lost in labyrinths instead of getting on with the story! :evil:

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:51 pm

kimimi wrote:I used plenty of walkthroughs so I was always prepared ;)

Just like me, haha.

kimimi wrote:Glad it wasn't just me that found the mazes in 1 and 3 a bit too much, I can only hope they build upon XJ4 and make the dungeons sensible again. Have you played the sequel to XJ3 Rich? I was leaving it until I managed to get through XJ3, but if it's any better I might skip the rest of 3 and just go through that instead.

One big word: NO. You meant the "side story" sequel to XJ3, right? That game is even worse in terms of mazes/dungeons. Basically you'd be spending the entire game running back and forth in dungeons...

kimimi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby kimimi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Sorry yes, that's what I meant ^^~

Thank you for the warning, even if it's not what I wanted to hear! You've saved me some precious free time at least :)

Return to “Xian Jian Sequels & Prequels II, III, IV, V & VI!”