Paladin 4 English Translation

Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan sequels (and prequel) for PAL. Check this out for information, news, pictures and share your opinions!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Rigelation
Hero Wannabe

Paladin 4 English Translation

Post by Rigelation »

Hello folks!

I noticed another thread on the topic, and have checked out the site of the possibly abandoned attempt to translate Paladin 1, but I wanted to make sure: Are there any current efforts to translate #4 into English? Does anyone know if Softstar has any plans to try marketing a translation? (I assume that's unlikely since it has been two years already)

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Re: Paladin 4 English Translation

Post by Whistler »

it's very unlikely that softstar will translate the game into any language other than Chinese.
There is only an official Japanese translation of PAL1 for Sega Saturn, however that version is highly crippled.

Rigelation
Hero Wannabe

Post by Rigelation »

Ok, next question, then: I'm a freshman at Pomona College, thinking about double majoring in Physics and Chinese, and I had a crazy thought several days ago as I was playing Paladin 4: "Hey, maybe I could translate a game into English for my Chinese thesis!" I do have three more years, and I honestly think it is something I might be able to do. It may sound like a crazy thought, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. I want to send an e-mail to Softstar to inquire about the possibility, but I thought I would check with you folks first: Is this just a complete pipe-dream? Is there any obvious off-the-cuff reason that this is completely impossible?

taisun93
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Post by taisun93 »

Uh... I would say if your professor approves and if Softstar approves (if they bother to reply at all), then I'll say go for it! Although some of the names might sound bad with literal translations.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Post by Chibi Jennifer »

Man, we really need PAL in English....
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Rigelation
Hero Wannabe

Post by Rigelation »

Chibi, forgive me, but by PAL do you mean PAL1, rather than the sequels, or was it just a general lament?

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Chibi Jennifer »

I meant all of PAL, but PAL1 is a must!! Tis a classic!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Rich
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Love them all

Post by Rich »

To Rigelation: You have good thoughts. if you like PAL4 so much, you could certainly write an essay on it, and you don't need anyone's approval for that. To translate the game into English is a completely different story. Not only do you need good understandings of Chinese and English literature, but you also need high-level computer programming/hacking/cracking skills. Not to mention all the copyright/legal issues... think about all that.

Einherjar
Hero Wannabe

Post by Einherjar »

4 Is nowhere as epic as 3. I'm thinking of translating 3 or at least try to complete a menu patch, but it will be impossible unless there's a way to repack cpk files (even though there is a extractor btw), which I do not have the knowledge of. Like what Rich said, one would need high-level hacking skills, which I don't have quite yet (I am only familiar with Java and slightly C++).

rubme
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Post by rubme »

Translating everything is a hard job but if you can do it it would be AWSOME! :)
I think people would love to play all the PAL's.
I can't really read Chinese very well so the translation would be GREAT!
I would play them ALL!!! 8)