The World of Pal: Realms and Species

Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan sequels (and prequel) for PAL. Check this out for information, news, pictures and share your opinions!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

xlandhenry
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

The World of Pal: Realms and Species

Postby xlandhenry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am

Since I joined this site, I haven’t seen any topics dedicated to the background story of PAL(mostly PAL III,IV though), so I’m making one myself to share with you guys(I guess this is right place to post it, right?). This article is compiled from various articles that I saw on official site, Palunion and
Baidu, as well as my own understandings of the series, so it may not be accurate in some places. It’s about the six realms(六界) and the various inhabitants of this world, each with a short description. Now enough introductions, so let’s begin!

Prelude. Creation of the world
In the very beginning there was only a chaos, within which was a giant named Pan’gu who had slept there for eons. When one day he woke up from this long slumber, he found the universe too boring, no lives, no light, like he was inside an egg. So he swung his axe, creating a fissure in the chaotic masses. All the things in this “egg” began to stir, the light ones went upwards, forming the sky; while heavy ones went downwards, creating the earth. Pan’gu was happy, but he feared that the sky and the earth would join again, so he used his body as a pillar to uphold it. After ages, the sky and the earth were so separated that they would never join again. However, Pan’gu drained himself in the process. He died. His spirit transformed into three deities:Fu Xi, Shen Nong, and Nu Wa. His magical power dispersed all over, becoming the five elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Thunder and Wind. A gigantic Divine Tree sprouted from his heart, which later became the source of celestial lives and energy.
The deities started off to create various creatures. Fu Xi used the fruits from the Divine Tree to create gods(神族); Shen Nong created beasts and insects, and Nu Wa created humans.

Realms:
1. Divine Realm (or the Realm of Gods)|神界: Inhabited by gods, this celestial realm hangs high up in the skies. Entrances to this realm are 4 celestial gates, the southern one is located near the Well of Demons and Gods, which connect this realm to the demon realm, thus it’s always heavy guarded.
2. Human Realm|人界: The most familiar realm to us, lies between the sky and the earth.
3. Ghost Realm: Aka hell. Inhabited by ghost and ruled by Hell Emperor Yan Wang. Ghost realm is divided into 18 layers. The 18th layer is the deepest one, also said to have the harshest environment and punishment. Legend says the entrance to the ghost realm is located in the city Fengdu.
4. Realm of Demigods|仙界: The places inhabited by demigods and those that is on the way to become demigods. These are usually sacred grounds that have some divine affinity. The most renowned ones are Mt.Shu(where the heart of Pan’gu lies), Mt.Kunlun.
5. Realm of Fiends|妖界: The realms of fiends exist within and sometimes overlap with the human realm. In most cases these realms are protected by some magical barrier so that normal people cannot find out its existence. The largest one of these realms is said to be Inner Mt.Shu, which is even closer to Pan’gu’s heart than Mt.Shu.
6. Demon Realm|魔界:The demon realm is on a parallel plane and is the opposite of the celestial realm. The only portal between these two realms is the Well of Demons and Gods, which was opened in the ancient war fought between human and the demon ancestors.

Species:
1. Gods|神: Made by Fu Xi from the fruits of the Divine Tree, they are immortal: they will not age, and they will not die naturally. There are gods and goddesses, but they cannot reproduce like humans and when they do so they will die. So there is a law that forbids love between gods and goddesses. There are also very strict rules and regulations for gods, and when a god/goddess breaks these rules, he/she may be punished by put to reincarnation, essentially losing his/her immortality. They’re the most powerful beings in the world of PAL.
2. Demons|魔: Long ago, a being named Chi You emerged and ruled over all the beasts. He was said to be the offspring of Shen Nong. He led the beasts to war against humans, but they lost the war to the alliance of humans and gods. In the end, he opened a portal to send all his lieutenants to a parallel plane. They are the ancestors of demons and the plane they dwell in later became the demon realm. Demons are vowed enemies to the gods, and some demons’ power is on par with the gods, so wars are often fought between them. Demons
3. Demigods|仙: Most of them were human beings. They have a long life-span, usually hundreds to thousands years. Humans, ghosts and even fiends are able to improve themselves with practice of Tao (or Dao), and when they gain a certain level of Tao, they can become demigods. It is said that demigod is the only path of becoming a god, so countless mortals have devoted their lives in searching for this path.
4. Fiends|妖: Most beasts, plants are not sentient beings, but there are exceptions. It is said that these exceptions have accidentally gained self-awareness and their intelligence is improved. They become the fiends. In contradiction with common believes, not all fiends are necessarily evil. There are some fiends who will try to blend in human society, and some even love humans.
5. Humans|人: They’re ordinary people, vulnerable and have limited life-spans. They were made by Nu Wa the goddess. Human on average is the weakest of all in terms of physical strength and raw power, but their determination and fortitude can never be underestimated.
6. Ghosts|鬼: When individuals of above species(except demons) die, their souls become ghosts. Most ghosts will go to the ghost realm, waiting to be put into reincarnation and get a new life. Their memories of preexistence are lost in the process. Some ghosts are stubborn and not willing to lose the memory of this life, they will linger in this world until exorcised or get a body to host in it. There are also some ghosts that evolve to fiends.
=========================End of Article================================

P.S. If you have any questions about the storyline of PAL series, post it here and it'll be answered!

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Re: The World of Pal: Realms and Species

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Looks detailed :D I haven't seen PAl3 drama yet though..are there spoilers in this? :} If so, I might read this afterwards!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Whistler
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yueru

Postby Whistler » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm

this is already posted at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=608

basically such stuff actually clashes with some parts of PAL1/2 and not much of such theories actually goes into the story of the game (which means this hasn't much spoilers, at least for the game) :)

xlandhenry
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby xlandhenry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Whistler wrote:this is already posted at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=608

basically such stuff actually clashes with some parts of PAL1/2 and not much of such theories actually goes into the story of the game (which means this hasn't much spoilers, at least for the game) :)

Oops. Didn't notice that one. It's more detailed and the translation seems prettier :P
Wouldn't have wasted hours making this thread if I've found it earlier.T_T

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Ohhh yeah! I forgot about that thread ^^;

Thanks for your effort anyways :) Really appreciate it!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Return to “Xian Jian Sequels & Prequels II, III, IV, V & VI!”