Unanswerable questions?

Discussion on Chinese Paladin (Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan) live action adaptation. Starring Hu Ge 胡歌, Liu Yifei 劉亦菲, Ady An 安以軒, Esther Liu 劉品言, Eddie Peng 彭于晏. Storyline, plot, characters, love triangles, polls, behind the scenes and more!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Unanswerable questions?

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:29 pm

When you finished the series, were there any parts you felt was unexplained? Perhaps anything that doesn't make sense, or simply doesn't show?

Here's the place to share and discuss about them!

I was wondering.. does Lao Lao know Ling Er's true form (i.e a Nu Wa Descendant) and who taught Ling Er magical powers, when Lao Lao obviously didn't use magic. Where did those girls in Xian Ling Dao comes from?

lroz:
I think Lao lao herself know Ling'er true form, if not when Lao lao was dying, she told Xiao yao to bring Ling'er to Na Zhao Guo.

kiyuster:
I think those powers naturally came to Ling'er.

Some questions I have aren't necessarily without answers. It's just little tidbits that bother me.
Like for example, is it just me? Or did Xiao Yao fail to pay as much attention as we would've liked to Ling'er after Yue Ru died?
I don't think I ever saw a moment where they just smiled at each other, tenderly, lovingly. Each look they gave seemed rather cold and awkward.
Not only that, but all the "sweet" scenes lasted 10 seconds at best. For example, when the baby was born, when they revisited Lao Lao's grave, even when they got married again.
The marriage scene was more focused on Xiao Yao talking to Tang Yu. ::)
There was never an actual scene where they sat down, told each other how much they loved each other, and assured each other, and held each other's hands...
If that had happened, it would've made the ending much easier to bear...=\

Before, when Xiao Yao was continuously chasing Ling'er, even though they weren't together, you could feel the love they had for each other. He was always looking for her, she was always trying to forget him. It was strong, and it remained strong throughout the story until they actually got together.

I mean, think about the scene where Xiao Yao was "killed" by Ah7 and Ling'er found him dead. She didn't do anything, there was no shocking music blasting in the background. All she did was sit there, shake him a little, and cried maybe 3 drops. ???

I guess my final question is, did anyone else seem to feel Xiao Yao didn't really show his love for Ling'er that much, and same vice versa?

Chibi Jennifer:
Yup, I agree with ya..

Once they were actually together, he didn't seem like how he was before (which is somewhat disappointing)- I mean, the point when he rushed in and called for Ling Er in the Tower, that was so touching, you can really see the love. I guess after the traumatic experience of someones death i.e Yue Ru, they behaved differently? I donno... when Xiao Yao found out Yue Ru died, she started getting very worried about Ling Er, and wanted to see her- if Jiu Jian Xian allowed him to see her, maybe it would show more.. but he told him to go outside- which caused a lot of frustrations for him.

Then he went travelling to the past and everything in hopes to change history, and so even when he found out Ling Er was alive, he wasn't as happy as he should have been o.o Which I found rather stupid...

But I guess to some extent, couples are usually like that..the process of trying to get them together is what is soo good to watch, but once they're together, there's no real barriers, and they understand that now they have each other- everything is ok, and no words need to be spoken to show their love for each other.

Chibi Jennifer:
yeh..omg, that part was disappointing in that aspect.. in the game, that was like the "high point" in the story..like it was devastating when Xiao Yao found out she was like a snake.... and I guess that scene would have been better if he was totally shocked to see what he did... cause then he would understand the pain Ling Er had to go through, and the reason which she kept pushing him away..it would have her reason valid, and so he would also feel guilty, and realise everything she did (including hurting him) was just to make him happy..

I suppose in the drama Ling Er was in a life and death situation, and the thought of her being dead just made him see the fact she was a snake, very small.. In a way its nice he didn't care she was a snake, like- almost no sign of hesitation; he just rushed up to her in tears and desperation.

In the game, Ling Er was not "dead", but she was still in her Nu Wa Form, tied up in chains on a sword...she looked quite different since her hair was red and etc... Xiao Yao could not recognise her at first, and she says a few lines of poetry..and he gets his memory back- however; she tells him she's not the Ling Er he knew...

purpleGirl:
I thought it was odd how they actually saw LingEr'sNuWa form early in the series, but just thought t was some demon..no hesitation to kill her off. I wonder when XiaoYao saw her the 2nd time in the form, whether he saw any connections ^^;

He didn't sounds really surprised about LingEr having his baby in the series~

kiyuster:
Omg, I remember that too! I was completely expecting him to crack a big grin and say, "Ni you wo men de hai zi le? (您有我们的孩子?)" and for them to share a special scene.
But instead, he had zero reaction. And during the actual giving birth, he didn't seem the slightest bit concerned that Ling'er was screaming in agony. In most dramas, the husband is always freaking out.

tmtien:
what got me was Ling'er's pregnancy. How come her belly never grew big? even up to the point where she had the baby? I mean during ep 30 & 31 they had her wear that outfit which made her look a little bit pregnant, but then she dooned the Princess outfit and her stomach was flat again 0.o. was this one of the side effects of dripping her own blood onto her tail to get rid of it? cos they never really explained that in ep 9, just that the her blood would hide her true Nu Wa form...

Also, i rewatched episodes 30 and 31 to see if there was a point where XY actually found out that Ling'er was pregnant with his child and they never mentioned it. It was like he found her in the tower, and then when they were back at the Saintess's house after he had come back from the past, they only focused on the story between the drunken sword immortal and the Queen. Then it went right onto the storyline about Ah Nu and TY...no mention at all about XY finding out that Ling'er was pregnant.

Then there was one line in ep 30 when XY was trying to take ling'er away and didnt want them to go save Ah Nu. In this bit the Saintess mentioned one line along the lines of "and there's the child ling'er is carrying"

At first i thought i'd miss it, but when i rewatched it only to realize that this was the only mention about the baby leading up to it birth, i was like what the 0.o. I think the directors assumed that because we know about the baby, then it would be ok to skip it, but still i think it didnt tie in very well.

hehe...sorry for such a long rant, but that was just something that was bothering me. I just think they should have showed more significance towards the fact that ling'er and XY had shared a child together out of their love for each other...

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:33 pm

angelzaina
Hero Wannabe

Postby angelzaina » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:07 am

hm..just my 2 cents worth. haha! i tink ten show is potraying something like both xiaoyao and linger's love for each other is so deep that they do not need to literally tell each other or show affections or something.

it's like they understand each other without saying it out or asking the other party. so i tink xiaoyao's action is not that bad.

cept maybe for the part whr he forgot abt linger. that part maybe he didn't really show cuz the love btw them is not that strong. besides, thr's yueru and his love is like torn btw the 2.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Also... what happened to that little boy monk who turned into a bracelet? o.o It just never showed him after the vampire case....

They should have put him back into the story like in the game, since it would make more sense. In the game, Xiao Yao finds the bracelet with the Sword Saint, and he tells Xiao Yao Ling Er is captured in the Tower.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Lroz
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby Lroz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm

Chibi Jennifer wrote:Also... what happened to that little boy monk who turned into a bracelet? o.o It just never showed him after the vampire case....

They should have put him back into the story like in the game, since it would make more sense. In the game, Xiao Yao finds the bracelet with the Sword Saint, and he tells Xiao Yao Ling Er is captured in the Tower.

I think they cut off the part in Taiwan version(38 EPI) and maybe that's why we didn't see what happen.

I bet the Taiwan version got show what happen to the little monk.

purpleGirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby purpleGirl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Makes me wonder if a Taiwan Version 38 episodes actually exists or not ...no one I've heard from actually seen it. Is it just a rumour?
My TVB Blog: K for TVB

Nana
Hero Wannabe

Postby Nana » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:31 pm

I wonder why the sword saint captured Ling Erl. If his reason is to save people, why didn't he show up to fight Bai Yuen. Furthermore, he once fell in love with Ling Erl's mom who was also Nu Wa's descendant.
In Episode 2 or 3, why Xiao Yao got angry when his auntie announced that he was married to Ling Erl. But then, the next day when they arrived at a town where they met Jin Yuan, he already showed his love to Ling Erl.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:35 pm

My guess is that Xiao Yao didn't like the idea at first, but soon quickly end up liking her, and perhaps felt something more between the two. We saw it like it was overnight, but travelling from a city to another would take a much longer journey time. They never announced they were a pair, but it looked pretty obvious.. with Xiao Yao saying "My Ling Er" and the two tapping each other's nose etc before they really knew Yue Ru.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

purpleGirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby purpleGirl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 am

Nana wrote:I wonder why the sword saint captured Ling Erl. If his reason is to save people, why didn't he show up to fight Bai Yuen.

That's what I've always been wondering myself ^^ But there's a cool discussion on this, posted in the topic "What is Dao?" which sorta explains what the sword saint is doing (all driven by his idea of dao- go check it out :D)

Furthermore, he once fell in love with Ling Erl's mom who was also Nu Wa's descendant.

haha..same same as I thought. When he first captured her, Ling Er was saing how she isn't evil and she's the Nu Wa descendant who has ocme back to save her people. It didn't look like he really believed her, but later on we learn that he fell in love with LingEr's mother (also a Nu Wa descendant) which means he should have known. Therefore, its a different reason why he captures her(and this goes back to the 'dao' stuff) :)

In Episode 2 or 3, why Xiao Yao got angry when his auntie announced that he was married to Ling Erl. But then, the next day when they arrived at a town where they met Jin Yuan, he already showed his love to Ling Erl.

I thought that was odd too because one moment he totally refused (after losing his memories of her), but then after, it was like he did have his memories of her.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 am

I don't understand why Ling Er must forget Xiao Yao in order for no one to die...to me, that seemed quite pathetic... How can anyone just forget the one they love most? Fate never said Nu Wa Descendants can't love someone..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

tmtien
Hero Wannabe

Postby tmtien » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:05 am

I'm finally able to sign into this forum having registered awhile back..not sure if its just my connection or something else :?

but anways, I think that you are correct in saying that Fate never said that Nu Wa Decendants can't love someone Chibi Jennifer. However, i think that as a Nu Wa Descendant, both Ling'er and her mother felt an innate obligation to care for the ppl. (there was a part in the series that mentioned that Nu Wa created mankind, but did not teach them how to survive, so maybe based on this successive descendants felt that it was their duty to carry on what their ancestors had set out to do)

Throughout the series we saw Ling'er struggling to chose between what she most wants (a simple happy life with XY) and what she was destined to be (a Nu Wa Descendant) and seeing as she can't turn her back on her destiny, by trying to forget XY was probably the best default plan she could think of to ensure the ones she cares about can live a normal life. It is hard to forget the one you love the most, and Ling'er of all ppl knew well enough that her ties with XY and her love for him was far too strong to be easily forgotten. I think that is why she wanted to take the pill to forget him, so as to make the process easy and clean cut...once and for all and to save everyone from misery.

purpleGirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby purpleGirl » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:46 pm

tmtien wrote: I think that is why she wanted to take the pill to forget him, so as to make the process easy and clean cut...once and for all and to save everyone from misery.

But the way I see it, looks like the pill just removed her soul o.o The soul didn't forget XiaoYao. let's say LingEr didn't go back to her body..so does that mean no one dies? BaiYue can still crumble the tower..would that mean no one would die? Would XiaoYao just carry LingEr's body and walk out of the tower o.o?

How come YueRu can see LingEr's soul anyway? Sword Saint said he'll send LingEr to a safe place, just the soul? She needs the body back too xD

zzXiaoyaozz
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby zzXiaoyaozz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:59 pm

I thought Sword Saint said that once she took the pill she would forget him immediately

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:36 pm

Yeh..so much for that idea..lol doesn't look like the pill made her forget anything... or it had such a time lag..it hadn't taken affect yet.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

zzXiaoyaozz
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby zzXiaoyaozz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:54 pm

Maybe the pill sword saint gave her was fake? :?:

Return to “Chinese Paladin 仙劍奇俠傳”