Characterization for the series

Discussion on Chinese Paladin (Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan) live action adaptation. Starring Hu Ge 胡歌, Liu Yifei 劉亦菲, Ady An 安以軒, Esther Liu 劉品言, Eddie Peng 彭于晏. Storyline, plot, characters, love triangles, polls, behind the scenes and more!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Terrapin Knight
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Characterization for the series

Postby Terrapin Knight » Fri May 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Recently watched a few episodes of the show, just up to when they visit Yueru's house, immediately after their duel at dinner. And... the main characters seem much less likable compared to the game.

Xiayao: In the game, he is polite, often eloquent, and tries to uphold what he thinks is the heroic ideal. He learns martial arts so that he can become a respected member of Jianghu. In the game, he is a boastful, rude, and arrogant street thug who would stoop to hiring punks to robe Jinyuan. He seemed to have learned martial arts as a method of fighting rather than to become a hero.

Linger: They really decided to emphasize the childish part of her. Her apprenticeship at the island shows from time to time, such as when she spotted the demon eating poison, but overall, she behaves and sounds like a kid--and a pretty excitable one at that. In the game, her sheltered upbringing and youth are shown when she tries to stay in bed, or when she asks Xiaoyao to make a pinkie promise with her, but overall, she is quite mature and learned.

Yueru: Probably the closest to the game so far, but even then, I think the series conveyed the exact opposite of her relationship with her father in the game. In the game, she is obedient towards her father until she fell for Xiaoyao and decided to follow him. In the series, she is a willful delinquent who ran away from home and who frequently talks back.

Anu: Haven't seen much of her. From what I did see, though, gone was her intelligence and naivete, only to be replaced by an air of stupidity. If she were as powerful as in the game, she would be a girl endowed with too much power for her to handle.

One character that changed for the better was Liu Jinyuan. In the game, he was a jealous, paranoid, willful, spoiled rich kid. It was mentioned that he was a student, but it was never known whether he accomplished anything. In the series, as far as I saw, he is intelligent, at the top of the proficiency tests, rich, powerful, yet courteous and polite.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 pm

You brought up some good point there.

Xiao Yao: I thought in the drama he was pretty childish with Jin Yuan thing.. ok, we get the point he's jealous..but getting people to "bash" Jin Yuan is a bit too..much... good thing their relationship builds pretty stronger later on in the series. Thats a good character/ relationship development.

Ling Er: I didn't mind the extra cuteness to Ling Er.. when you watch later on, I think her character starts falling a bit downhill.. she's no longer "child-like" but seems to be, in fact the opposite. I mean, she makes a lot of wrong decisions in the drama :/

Yue Ru: I think her character was a bit overdone too.. Too much bickering between her and XY.. they should know when to stop boring the audience sometimes.

Anu: I think... was worse change. She is completely different to the original. Not only is she not strong, doesn't fight and only has "magic tircks", she acts like a baby. TOTALLY. maybe it's her dubbed voice..

Again, these changes bring out more liveliness and diversity to their characters, and its because of these changes, why fans like them. Who knows?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

purpleGirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby purpleGirl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:00 am

To Terrapin Knight:
After reading what you've got, seems like the game characters were a lot more mature and sensible XD Wonder how that would have turned out in the drama if they kept it that way. I think the drama adapted it quite well since bringing out different aspects would make the characters more alive and interesting. Just a thought =) Ling Er being a bit childish is cute (I didn't mind it that much either) She is supposed to be 16 years old..but somehow I can't accept the fact Ah Nu is sooo childish to themax (eve though she's supposed to be 14 in the game)

Chibi Jennifer wrote:Yue Ru: I think her character was a bit overdone too.. Too much bickering between her and XY.. they should know when to stop boring the audience sometimes.

Its called consistency ChibiJen
My TVB Blog: K for TVB

Terrapin Knight
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan

Postby Terrapin Knight » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:59 pm

Good lord, I'm up to ep 6 in the series, and I'm finding it hard to watch because Xiaoyao is such a childish jerk.

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 am

Quit. The show is horrible.
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:38 am

Chibi Jennifer wrote:You brought up some good point there.

Xiao Yao: I thought in the drama he was pretty childish with Jin Yuan thing.. ok, we get the point he's jealous..but getting people to "bash" Jin Yuan is a bit too..much... good thing their relationship builds pretty stronger later on in the series. Thats a good character/ relationship development.

Ling Er: I didn't mind the extra cuteness to Ling Er.. when you watch later on, I think her character starts falling a bit downhill.. she's no longer "child-like" but seems to be, in fact the opposite. I mean, she makes a lot of wrong decisions in the drama :/

Yue Ru: I think her character was a bit overdone too.. Too much bickering between her and XY.. they should know when to stop boring the audience sometimes.

Anu: I think... was worse change. She is completely different to the original. Not only is she not strong, doesn't fight and only has "magic tircks", she acts like a baby. TOTALLY. maybe it's her dubbed voice..

Again, these changes bring out more liveliness and diversity to their characters, and its because of these changes, why fans like them. Who knows?

Haha... I agree with chibi.....

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby LotsOfLayne » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:25 am

I watched the first part of episode one and already I can't stand it. Xiaoyao acts like a punk instead of a self righteous hero. Linger was originally very shy. They got it completely opposite.
Wow, is this nostalgic or what.

purpleGirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby purpleGirl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm

They made Ling'er really happy and cheerful to show she's been living happily "as promised"
Now that you mention it, it reminds me she grew up on an island not seeing any men for so long it is kinda odd she didn't have much of a different reaction when seeing him.
My TVB Blog: K for TVB

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:24 pm

LotsOfLayne wrote:I watched the first part of episode one and already I can't stand it. Xiaoyao acts like a punk instead of a self righteous hero. Linger was originally very shy. They got it completely opposite.

Yeah... Xiao Yao got more mature after he marries with Ling'er.. And Ling'er got more mature also... :D

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:58 pm

purpleGirl wrote:They made Ling'er really happy and cheerful to show she's been living happily "as promised"
Now that you mention it, it reminds me she grew up on an island not seeing any men for so long it is kinda odd she didn't have much of a different reaction when seeing him.

But she remembered Xiao Yao since she was little so it wouldn't really be odd for her to see him ^_^ She even painted a pic of him.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

soulawaken
Heavenly
Heavenly

Postby soulawaken » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:42 am

Chibi Jennifer wrote:
purpleGirl wrote:They made Ling'er really happy and cheerful to show she's been living happily "as promised"

But she remembered Xiao Yao since she was little so it wouldn't really be odd for her to see him ^_^ She even painted a pic of him.

Yeah... I think Ling'er is pretty talented.. If you want me to look at a person for less than one day and draw a pic of him ten years later I can never do it... :(

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:30 am

Here's my view

Xiao Yao:
In the game he was cool, maybe is because he doesn't talk for most of the time when the players are moving him from one place to another. Maybe it's because the game moves at a much faster pace, we were quickly pulled away from the "everyday Xiao Yao" into the "I have to save my auntie, I have to be strong Xiao Yao". And that Xiao Yao hasn't disappoint me, his determination to go after Ling Er when she left the Lin household, his respect for Yue Ru for beliving/following him...by the time he travels back in time he's already considered to be a hero. When fightning Bai Yue it all depended on how good the player is, Xiao Yao can single handedly destroy Bai Yue but still in the end he accepted Ling Er's fate, when he was teleported to the surface and the flood came in, he jumped in to save Ah Nu, picked up Ling Er's Heavenly Snake Staff and went back to Sheng Gu's. He later became the Guild Master of the Shu Shan Sword Guild

In the drama we've been exposed too much "everyday Xiao Yao", even before his auntie collapsed we saw him flirting with the two sisters and beating up people, his determination for Ling Er drastically lessened as he still finds time to argue with Yue Ru, and even after finding Ling Er he still tried to flirt with the Doctor's daughter. By the time he travels back in time he's matured a little, but not by much, I still don't find him to have any aura that a hero should have. In the end he couldn't kill Bai Yue, Ling Er had to take on the Water Beast herself, she died, Xiao Yao was shocked and cried like a baby. He later carried Yi Ru onto a cliff.

Ling Er:
Suprisingly I find her to be absent for most part of the game, really her time spent with Xiao Yao isn't that long. She was adorable and playful when traveling with Xiao Yao at the first city, upon reuniting at the Doctor village she became less joyful and more motherly as she urged Xiao Yao to save those zombie people. After killing the blood pool monster she willingly traded herself for Xiao Yao and Yue Ru's life and went with the Stone Master. She was clearly sad that Xiao Yao couldn't remember her in the Demon Tower, and when they came out she was once again disabled on top a bed. By the time she recovered she barely had anything intimate to say to Xiao Yao other than naming the baby (which wasn't that intimate), she was later stabbed by her dead/demon father, and she sacrificed herself to seal Bai Yue. Overall I find the way she treats Xiao Yao grows more and more professional and less personal, probably is because she knows that she is not human, and a Nu Wa descendant is just not fated to be with a human but instead is to protect them.

In the drama she promised Xiao Yao that she would be happy, and everything felt awkward because she also knows about her destiny and yet she still resort to a kind of childish/pathetic way of severing her ties with Xiao Yao (the inn episodes), in the end she couldn't do it and she died in Xiao Yao's arms. Just like Xiao Yao, in the drama we were shown more interaction between her and Xiao Yao, were they good or bad is up to you.

Yue Ru:
In the game she was shown to be mean and unruly only in the first city, ever since she's with Xiao Yao they haven't been into an argument (like I mentioned before regarding Xiao Yao's respect for her and the fact that the game moves at a fast pace). I'm pretty sure she was willing to share Xiao Yao with Ling Er even though they really don't talk much either except when they promised to "吃到老,玩到老", she died when she tried to hang onto Xiao Yao and Ling Er when a piece of the roof collapsed on her.

In the drama it was unclear whether she intended to act mean and spoiled in front of Xiao Yao or is she simply like that. They fight over pretty much everything, and base on the way Xiao Yao is acting, I really don't see why she even likes him. Her relationship with Xiao Yao was never openly shown like the promise they made in the game. It was all "kind of there but we don't know what's the point since it's not going anywhere". She died when a rock pillar fell on her when she stood in place in a collapsing building.

Ah Nu:
The cute yet dangerous Miao girl controlled Xiao Yao like a toy when they first met, telling him to go with her to steal stuff to trade for the phoenix egg shell. She's very mature for her age, but from time to time she shows her girl traits such as adopting the little worm eating chick. She was highly trained in poison and dagger combat, she had a secret crush on Xiao Yao in which she later played her flute on top the mountain for Xiao Yao when he left.

In the drama the cuteness was changed to the habit of eating, she is no longer dangerous because her "trick magics" doesn't do crap. Xiao Yao doesn't care about her, and neither does she for Xiao Yao. She acts childish throughout the whole show, it was better at the beginning when she was entrusted with the task to find Ling Er, but it just gets worse from there, after meeting Tang Yu...ugh.
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

ryshi
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby ryshi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:39 am

^Loved the way you wrote it.

What is "吃到老,玩到老"? I can read it as eat till old, play till old. But what does it mean as a phrase? Does yueru mean she's willing to share XY with ling'er in her everyday life from now till forever?
Whistler will save the day.

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:13 am

No it just meant that they will be together, eat and play until they are old.
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for your insights Lightbrand =) It was an interesting read!
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Return to “Chinese Paladin 仙劍奇俠傳”