All those poisons in the game

Everything about this classic Chinese RPG 'The Legend of Sword and Fairy' featuring Li XiaoYao, Zhao Ling'er, Lin YueRu and A Nu. Stuck in the game? We can help you.

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

All those poisons in the game

Postby LotsOfLayne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Has anyone ever used any of those poisons in the game. Personally I never saw too much use for them, except one day I decided to experiment with them and see what they do.

Out of those "7 deadly poisons", only one made a good impression on me. It reduces the enemy HP by half. The trick is, that this poison doesnt work on everyone, b/c I used it on Baiyue and it didn't work. Anyway that's my opinion on these poisons, anyone have any other thoughts?
Wow, is this nostalgic or what.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:05 pm

I never used them... it seemed like a waste of a turn :S

Then again, I kinda didn't know which one did what.. I didnt know there was one that reduced hp by half. ^^; But yes, the better the technique, the less effect it has on bosses.
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:55 am

in the XP version, later on in the game, many of the poisons can be combined to make goodies, such as the bug that makes your whole team invisible. I made like 13 of those and beat BaiYue without taking any damage 8) :lol:

I never use them normally though, I don't think any of them are strong enough to do any serious damage alone, even in a boss fight. When wanted to poison a boss, I used A Nu's "ant consume elephant (XD)" spell and it does decent damage and still leaves a poison that does 32dmg per turn.

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby LotsOfLayne » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:18 am

Hmm, how do you "combine" the bugs?

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:09 am

ah yes..the invisible worm..it's a bit too easy though if you used that worm ^_^;; Does everyone remember the level up worm? I remember one stage i bought over 99 of them and kept feeding them to my characters XD

I think theres an item you use to combine worms..
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:28 am

LotsOfLayne wrote:Hmm, how do you "combine" the bugs?

Go to Items > Use and there should be an item that looks like a chinese frying pan, somewhere near the middle of the list. :? Use it and it will bring you to another list with usable items to combine. Select the first ingredient followed by the second, then press the combine button.

These are the only combinations I know:

无影毒 + 化尸水 = 隐蛊
  化尸水 + 赎魂灯 = 隐蛊
  驱魔香 + 还魂香 = 孟婆汤
  孟婆汤 + 雪莲子 = 女娲石
  孟婆汤 + 化尸水 = 隐蛊
  雪莲子 + 女娲石 = 天仙玉露
  九节菖蒲+ 九阴散 = 毒龙胆
  金蚕蛊 + 赎魂灯 = 无影毒
  赤蝎粉 + 化尸水 = 隐蛊
  雪莲子 + 还魂香 = 八仙石

There might be more combinations though. If you're the adventurous type, you might want to save the game and experiment with other items. :lol:

I'm pretty sure this is XP version only.

And yea... I regret not buying the level up worms from the shop in Da Li the first couple of times I was there... I was going to make a trip there with Ling Er in my team but by that time all the shops are "closed"... :(

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby LotsOfLayne » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:14 am

Ya, I sold her all of Linger's equipment in order to buy the level up bugs. So when Linger recovered, she was naked with no cloth, hat or shoes. I thought that was pretty bad.

Where do you find that chinese frying pan? How come I don't remember it.

Also I don't know if any of you guys found this, but if you go to the peach village where everyone is a tree monster (The place where you get that orb that add 90 defense). There's a small animal that looks like a dog you can take. What does that dog do? Does anyone know what i'm talking about?

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 am

There should be multiple stages in the game to obtain 3 of those pans (I think I had 3) In the restaurant where the Bai Miao women fought Shi Zhang Lao, theres a box in the restaurant where the pan is located. I believe this is the first one you can obtain.

I believe your talking about the orange chicken. The chicken is used in the maze filled with bugs behind sheng gu's house. I think on the first level there's a hole which neither Ah Nu nor Xiaoyao could fit into. Use the chicken near the hole. This is almost like a mini game where you move the chicken around and eat bugs. The bugs are required for some of Ah Nu's spells, and will go to your inventory.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:52 am

Is the chicken only in the XP version? I dont remember it at all...

Level up worms are wonderful..even when characters are at max lvl, they can still increase their stats. I grabbed heaps of money from Yue Ru's Aunty and used them XD
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:18 am

Chibi Jennifer wrote:Is the chicken only in the XP version? I dont remember it at all...

Level up worms are wonderful..even when characters are at max lvl, they can still increase their stats. I grabbed heaps of money from Yue Ru's Aunty and used them XD

Yea, I think the chicken is only in XP version.

Ahhh, Yue Ru's aunt was a lot nicer in DOS/95 :x
In XP, she only gives you money 3 times (I think it was 3). Also, they made it painful to walk between the shops and the backyard of Yueru's aunt's house.
I spent all the money on the most expensive sword in the shop, and saved them to throw at bosses... turns out they only do around 500 dmg.. :x

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby LotsOfLayne » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:46 am

Back in the old days, when I first played Xian Jian (around 98), it was impossible for us to beat Baiyue without the invisible worm. I think we were partially both too scared to die and not skillful enough to beat him. We also weren't smart enough to buy those level up worms. Now in XP, you can easily defeat Baiyue without the invisible worm.

Also I believe 无影毒 mentioned by tmt64 is the poison that reduces hp by half. If you use it against the demon that appears before the fake Yueru on the first turn, you will do 3999 damage. Meaning that demon has 8000 hitpoints.

Did anyone visit that brothel in Yueru's aunt's town? I thought that was interesting.

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:06 pm

LotsOfLayne wrote:Back in the old days, when I first played Xian Jian (around 98), it was impossible for us to beat Baiyue without the invisible worm. I think we were partially both too scared to die and not skillful enough to beat him. We also weren't smart enough to buy those level up worms. Now in XP, you can easily defeat Baiyue without the invisible worm.

Also I believe 无影毒 mentioned by tmt64 is the poison that reduces hp by half. If you use it against the demon that appears before the fake Yueru on the first turn, you will do 3999 damage. Meaning that demon has 8000 hitpoints.

Did anyone visit that brothel in Yueru's aunt's town? I thought that was interesting.

Yea, back when Xian Jian first came out, I watched my dad play at first. I'm not sure if they sold the level up worms in the original. I just remember that the invisible worms were damn rare. I remember Baiyue having that skill which was similar to one of Shi Zhang Lao's, where it carves 3 lines on the ground across the battle scene and does mad damage to everyone on your team. :shock:
Even with the protective spells, I think you had to heal someone almost every round.
From my personal experience, the bosses are much weaker in XP compared to the original (I even remember having trouble against the 3 Miao soldiers in the beginning, but I guess that was before I discovered the protective spells :o ).

LotsOfLayne
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby LotsOfLayne » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:59 pm

tmt64 wrote:Yea, back when Xian Jian first came out, I watched my dad play at first. I'm not sure if they sold the level up worms in the original. I just remember that the invisible worms were damn rare. I remember Baiyue having that skill which was similar to one of Shi Zhang Lao's, where it carves 3 lines on the ground across the battle scene and does mad damage to everyone on your team. :shock:
Even with the protective spells, I think you had to heal someone almost every round.
From my personal experience, the bosses are much weaker in XP compared to the original (I even remember having trouble against the 3 Miao soldiers in the beginning, but I guess that was before I discovered the protective spells :o ).

Yes there the shop that sold level up worms did exist in xian jian 95. But when I first played, I wasn't smart enough to buy them b/c they cost so much. So back then, Baiyue was a beast, he can kill me in a turn.
I too remember that Invisible worms were rare. I think there's around 4 of them total in the game. And the older kids who beat the game all told us the locations to find them and memorize them.
There was also a myth where if you get XY to level 99, he will be able to turn into a snake, even though it makes no sense whatsoever.
Man those good old times.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:05 pm

lol..I heard a rumour that if Ling Er was level 99, she gets the "ultimate attack"..so i got her lvl 99 using the worms..nothing happened. so i thought i needed to get that much without the worms...all the way to max level..and STILL nothing happened. i was so sad...lol..

I remember the brothel..lol.. there was also a public womens bath I think.. somewhere.

Whats the fake yueru you're talking about?
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

tmt64
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover

Postby tmt64 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:31 pm

ehhh what brothel? o.o

fake yueru... idk if it's in 95/DOS, but it's the 2nd boss when you visit the "dream" maze at the beginning of XP version for the 2nd time.

Return to “PAL DOS, 95/98 and XP Version”