Translations of titles

Discussion on Chinese Paladin (Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan) live action adaptation. Starring Hu Ge 胡歌, Liu Yifei 劉亦菲, Ady An 安以軒, Esther Liu 劉品言, Eddie Peng 彭于晏. Storyline, plot, characters, love triangles, polls, behind the scenes and more!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Larloch
Hero Wannabe

Translations of titles

Postby Larloch » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:27 pm

It strikes me that the titles used for the characters in the games have somewhat archaic and/or wuxia specific meanings that don't translate particularly well in a Chinese-English dictionary. I'm curious as to how you would translate the titles.

巫王/巫后--I'm tempted to go with a word by word translation here and render them as witch king/witch queen. The problem here is two-fold: 1. it almost certainly recalls to mind Tolkien's Witch King, leader of the Nazguls. 2. the English title has almost exclusively negative meanings. While this is true of the Chinese word, the black Miao tribe use the same titles for the two, though some calls the king 大王, a much more positive term.

座堡/盟主--The term guild master seems appropriate here. Both refer to the leader of a formal association of people of the same profession--here profession martial artists.

教主--High priest is the closest term that comes to mind.

祭司--Even though the terms are different, it seems high priest is still the closest translation here. I was at first tempted by the term oracle, but that word has associations with prophecy, which is not something associated with the holders of this office in the game.

尚书--Minister of some sort? I really don't know what this official does.

太守--Sheriff appears to be the closest term, unless I'm misunderstanding what the official's function is.

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:31 pm

hello Larloch ^^ Welcome to the Xian Jian Fan Club =D

In regards to the title...Ill just wait for someone who can read Chinese to come along and help out...^^;;
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xing Xuan

Re: Translations of titles

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Actually, I don't even know why they're called 巫王/巫后... At first I thought it was the emperor's surname, but Ling Er's surname is Zhao, so that wouldn't make sense...
I think Sorcerer Emperor and Sorceress Queen would be best, since a sorcerer does not sound like an evil person...

EDIT- 巫王: Witchcraft King/Witchery King/Spellcraft King
巫后: Witchcraft Queen/Witchery Queen/Spellcraft Queen

Guild Master sounds like a really good one. I never actually knew what to call a 武林盟主. Or maybe Alliance Master or Alliance Leader.

教主- Cult Leader.

祭司- Just Priest or Priestess.

尚书- A high official in ancient China, so Minister will be best.

太守- Prefecture Chief.
Last edited by ~IllusionQueen~ on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How I want to hold you in my arms again……

Valius
Chinese Paladin Fan
Chinese Paladin Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Lin Yue Ru

Postby Valius » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:34 am

~IllusionQueen~ wrote:Actually, I don't even know why they're called 巫王/巫后... At first I thought it was the emperor's surname, but Ling Er's surname is Zhao, so that wouldn't make sense...
I think Sorcerer Emperor and Sorceress Queen would be best, since a sorcerer does not sound like an evil person...

Guild Master sounds like a really good one. I never actually knew what to call a 武林盟主. Or maybe Alliance Master or Alliance Leader.

教主- High Priest or Chief Priest. I prefer Chief Priest.

祭司- Just Priest or Priestess.

尚书- A high official in ancient China, so Minister will be best.

太守- Prefecture Chief.

In the Chinese Bible, the word for High Priest is usually 大祭司. 教主 is more like the head of a religious sect, which isn't necessarily referred to as a high priest. In our case, I'd say Cult Leader is the closest, since the 拜月较 could be described as the Lunar Cult.

Otherwise, the rest of the words are good enough that a Westerner can figure out what they are.

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 pm

I agree. Edited.

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Actually, I think I know now why they are known as 巫王/巫后. The Miao are well-known for their use of Gu. Gu is a kind of poison that is created by sealing several venomous creatures (centipedes, snakes, scorpions, etc.) inside a closed container, where they devour one another and allegedly concentrate their toxins into a single survivor. Gu was used in black magic practices, so Gu was considered witchcraft. The king probably also uses Gu magic, considering that he's Miao, so calling him the Wu King would make sense. Naturally, his wife will be the Wu Queen.

So, 巫王/巫后 will probably be best translated as

巫王: Witchcraft King/Witchery King/Spellcraft King
巫后: Witchcraft Queen/Witchery Queen/Spellcraft Queen

I personally prefer Spellcraft 'cause I think that sounds the koolest XD

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Oh hey that actually sounds valid :O
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Return to “Chinese Paladin 仙劍奇俠傳”