Game vs Drama: Which you like?

Discussion on Chinese Paladin (Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan) live action adaptation. Starring Hu Ge 胡歌, Liu Yifei 劉亦菲, Ady An 安以軒, Esther Liu 劉品言, Eddie Peng 彭于晏. Storyline, plot, characters, love triangles, polls, behind the scenes and more!

Moderator: Xian Jian Committee

Game or Drama? Which are you a fan of?

Pal: The GAME
50%
Chinese Paladin: The DRAMA
22%
I love both!
28%

Total votes: 32

Kane
Hero Wannabe

Re: Game vs Drama: Which you like?

Postby Kane » Sat May 02, 2009 10:34 am

The drama is garbage!!!
no offence to the cast and those who loved the drama. just the plot is so foolish that makes me mad!

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Zhao Ling Er

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun May 03, 2009 8:48 am

It seems most fans of the game disliked the drama, those who haven't played the game love the drama, and there's people like me who loved both in their own way =)
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

veange
Hero Wannabe
Favourite Xian Jian Character: not sure

Postby veange » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 pm

I love the storyline and dialogue styles from the game a lot.

I tried watching the drama but couldn't bear seeing the characters so drastically severed from the personalities they were supposed to portray from the game. The entire tone of the TV drama was just too different for me.

In all fairness, I think the original game built such a devoted fan base with its serendipitously incredible storytelling that it would be difficult for anything afterwards to try and live up to the original's standards and the adoring fans' demanding expections.

I feel that it is the same reason that all the sequel / prequel XianJian games have not been as successful as the original - impossible expectations to live up to!

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Very true.. which is kinda awesome XD
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

God
Xian Jian Veteran
Xian Jian Veteran
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Yue Ru

Postby God » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

The game, definitely.

It's like Berserk. Anyone who watches the anime will think it's awesome. That is until they read the manga. Then they will like the anime less. The anime's just a method of reaching out to the masses; just as the CP drama series reaches out to the non-gamers.
I need more wuxia in my life.

:P :P :P

kevinlinus
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Long Kui

Postby kevinlinus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:00 pm

I voted for both ! :D

My reasons:
Although i never play the game, and just heard from people in this forum, i think the game is awesome, especially the storyline (originality) ! considering that it was produced in 1995, the game is just great 8) , and its a shame i couldnt read nor speak chinese although i am chinese, so i couldnt play the game... :x . my last point is, if the game didnt create auch success, there would never be the drama

As for the drama, i think its just great considering it was made in 2004 and with not so much budget (i think), although i must admit that there are unneccesary sub-plots. If the drama was not a success, there would not be Chinese Paladin 3 :o

Lightbrand
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan

Postby Lightbrand » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 am

This is the case of "less is more" or "less is better".
Because in game XiaoYao barely talks, you only move him around opening chests and interact with stuff, when you "talk" with an NPC it's them who do the talking, and if it's an important NPC (whose dialogue lasts longer than one sentence) then XiaoYao might reply back something succinct.

So the pacing of the game in terms of dialogue is very tight and focused. XiaoYao is on a quest, and he (the player) didn't stop at any point to relax or goof off (once again, even if you talk to every single person in a town as XY, it's them who does the talking, XY rarely replies back. So you're just soaking in the game environment).

That can't really work for a show, you can't just have XY and YR move from point A to B without anybody making a sound, and call it an episode. They have to talk, maybe even bicker. And that's the problem.

When XiaoYao starts to talk too much, it overexposes/stresses his "punk" attitude that was really only there in early chapters of the game (during early game events that had XY opening his mouth, he did behave immaturely, but as the game progress and he stay silent most of the time. The next time game required him to talk, he's already a heroic 大侠.) That never happened in the show, everybody talked too much it shows a side of them that we didn't want to see.

XiaoYao no longer cool, YueRu also became annoying. Ironically, because LingEr was absent most of the time in game and in the show, we don't get to see her ruin her own image by talking too much.
是缘分,是宿命,还是一场捉弄人的游戏?

Chibi Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Chibi Jennifer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:36 am

ahhh! Lightbrand!!! So nice to see you here ^__^

I love your response, sounds great! I still believe it was the script that needs to be blamed though. I mean, characters in TV shwos talk all the time, and it doesn't necessarily make the character more loud/annoying. I think they just overdid it a bit for Chinese Paladin...
♥Xiaoyao and Ling'er~~~

Yukinaoni
Chinese Paladin Lover
Chinese Paladin Lover
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Ling Er

Postby Yukinaoni » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am

I liked a bit of both. The game has a solid flow and the drama has some nice touches but was a bit chopped up and altered. I guess I didn't like the part in the beginning of the drama where Xiao Yao was attacking floating statues that looked similiar to a chess piece when in the game it was a detailed statue that doesn't just suddenly attack you and sliding on a moving picture lake with lily pads etc didn't seem...real enough. There was also the part with the giant toad...they used a funny/weird looking frog/toad suit. The dog at the beginning of the demon prison tower sort of looked like a toy. XD Animation wasn't great back then, but it looked like they didn't have enough budget/help for certain parts of the drama. Aside from that, it was still a nice touching drama. 8)
^OwO> Hoping for a production for 仙劍奇俠傳4 + 5 dramas <OwO^

~IllusionQueen~
Dedicated Pal Fan
Dedicated Pal Fan
Favourite Xian Jian Character: Xing Xuan

Postby ~IllusionQueen~ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 am

Ironically, because LingEr was absent most of the time in game and in the show, we don't get to see her ruin her own image by talking too much.

Ahahaha XD

They are both good and bad in their own way...

They both have awesome music though~ X"3

But...even though the game has an AWESOME story to it...the dungeons were a pain in the ass. There are enemies EVERYWHERE, and you can't escape them, even if you use the "escape" option... It is basically forced grinding, and if you aren't a patient person, you'll soon get really annoyed and frustrated...

The drama...meh. The first two episodes and the last episode are really the only episodes I truly liked. Well, I also kinda liked episode 18-19, they were pretty hilarious. The rest...didn't go too well for me... Especially the parts about dao. There were like, 5 episodes just talking about dao!! I burst a few brain cells just sitting through those episodes.
How I want to hold you in my arms again……

Return to “Chinese Paladin 仙劍奇俠傳”